Tr4a Rev counter noisy

Hi everyone

Just a quick question.Took the triumph out for drive today and discovered a noise coming from the rev counter.i removed it and found that it needed bit of lubrication as felt resistance on the drive.i put it back in and connected cable back up but it is now reading really high.is there a way of adjusting the mechanism to read correctly?

Regards

Nigel 

Well the only way the tacho can suddenly read high is if the magnetic coupling is fouling somehow or if there is something bridging the gap. You could try loosening off the drive cable connection a bit,  just in case the cable inner is now pushing too hard on the end of the spindle I suppose.

It's supposed to be a magnetic coupling with an air gap.  Seems that you have created a fluid coupling, rather like a crude automatic gearbox, and this si pulling the tacho reading to a high level!

You need to remove the oil which must be lying in the air gap.

Ian Cornish

Well I removed the tacho again and took it apart.gave it a blow out and yes residue was found on the plate.Good clean up and refit now back to normal.Thanks for advice on this everyone great help as always on this forum.

Nige