Treat or etch prime

I'm sure there will be varied opinions :D. IOM, get as much rust and loose  paint out with wire brushes, flap wheels etc. Treat with Jenolite (not a great fan of Kurust) after clearing any grease and grime with brake cleaner spray and brush (I use old toothbrushes for small areas and crevices, and washing up brushes). Dry off with clean rag and blast air if you have a compressor. Prime with something heavy duty - I use red oxide type primer, and as it's a boot area likely to be carpet covered and you are not going for concours - brush painting should be adequate. Underneath is obviously even more important - here I would go as above + a top coat of something heavy duty - POR 15 (if you are feeling flush), or Chassis Black. Good luck.

Cheers,

Roger

It all depends on what time you have, or whether you just want rust issues arrested while you get on with other jobs &/or enjoy the car.   I plan to do that with my next (basket-case) project 4A  ..so as to get it back on the road asap., that I might sort out the more major issues, and then come back to strictly-cosmetics later on.  

It might be pertinent that POR-15 petrol tank sealer is used directly on surfaces that have had the worse of the rust removed but have not been chemically pickled ..and also without any primer.  I've used it successfully with motorcycle petrol tanks.  However, once cured I wouldn't want to try and get it off again !  It's good stuff.  That might be an option if your car is intended to be a driver and (..in your ownership) never restored to be show car.  

I'm not disagreeing with Roger but I personally believe that floors and spare wheel wells rot out from above as much as if not more so than from below.  These closed / poorly ventilated can get very damp from even the slightest rainwater or road-spray leak in, and of course from atmospheric humidity.  Closed up, with carpets, vinyl, or a rubber mat and that damp has plenty of time to get to work and little opportunity to dry out..   As a consequence, I like to protect the insides, particularly those places I rarely see - better than underneath.  Then the underneath is a visual telltale which says to me that things need attention before they become an issue.

Pete     

Thanks for the reply guys,  if forgotten I had some neutrarust 661 which is great stuff so slapped it on and then etch primer over the top once it had dried.  Just waiting for the seam sealer to dry before a coat of red oxide, really makes a difference.   Have also gone underneath and started cleaning the chassis and floor up,  the chassis still has its black paint, I think the Californian dirt has preserved it 

IMG_20190907_195302_416.jpg

IMG_20190907_195302_414.jpg

IMG_20190907_195302_411.jpg

IMG_20190907_195302_407.jpg

IMG_20190907_195302_408.jpg