paint choice

Hello

I'm planning a rebuild and a respray.  My 67 4a IRS was apparently originally white, is now royal blue,   but I fancy powder blue.  I see various cars described as wedgewood blue, but they look powder blue.  Those are two different colours, aren't they?

cheers

Dave

==

Hi Dave, my car is powder blue after being through a couple of other colours in its lifetime but started life in 62 as a powder blue.

The paint was from Autocolours Brighton code no 8013...Powder Blue.

John S

The colour-chips posted by littlejim earlier show the subtle difference nicely.... whatever colour you choose, I’m sure it will look great!

......... Andy 

My 4A is Vauxhall Jade Green - the colour when I got it 30 years ago. It should be the drab Conifer Green. A lot of people go for a different racing green such as Jaguar Racing Green. I have often thought of having it changed back to the Conifer Green but I like the colour it is. I have seen some German TR's a similar colour to mine. From the colour chart above there is a British Racing Green and a Triumph Racing Green used at different times. I find that all the other colours fairly easy to identify but put two green cars together and they are rarely the same. In the 1960's it wasn't unusual to spray a car a different colour but now a non-standard colour is often frowned upon.

Keith

Powder blue (of which there are lots of shades) was used until end of March 63 when they changed to Wedgwood blue which is slightly darker with hint of purple.

Stuart.

Powder blue and Wedgewood blue are distinctly different colours so be sure you know which is which.

Powder blue is often associated with TR4s as it was the colour used by the works rally team and as such is I think very evocative of the marque. I suspect it was also often specified for US export cars, as in the case of mine (1962 TR4) which came out of the factory in powder blue with, wait for it, a white hood and tonneau (although my car was long ago resprayed red, as is - ahem - more proper for a British road-going TR. I'll get my coat.)

Wedgewood blue, as offered as a colour on the 4A, is a much richer blue and edged more towards the psychedelic shades that became popular in the late 1960s and 70s.

Nigel

Interesting; when imported back from the US my 4a was painted a gopping shade of green over the original Triumph Racing Green, I'm wondering whether this was Apple Green....still gopping :)

David

s-l1600.jpg

I had to look up gopping.  Good word.

I think I like powder blue best from looking at photos,  but I think I need to see the two blues in the flesh.  Quite hard where I live.   Couple of car shows to go to next year then.

Cheers

Dave

I've just seen pictures of a tr4 in cactus green - looks very sophisticated!

14 hours ago, had17462 said:

Mine was originally white , I remember posting the very same question in 2006 when I bought it ,managed to pull it out from the corner of the garage last week ,still looks great in my opinion.

Nick

image.jpeg

Looks great! Is that 'Powder Blue'?

The real trick is finding a good brush to put the paint on with. 

Steer away from these new fangled rollers 

:ph34r:

On 9/9/2019 at 5:04 PM, qkingston said:

Interesting; when imported back from the US my 4a was painted a gopping shade of green over the original Triumph Racing Green, I'm wondering whether this was Apple Green....still gopping :)

David

s-l1600.jpg

I don’t believe that’s Apple Green

This is...BDEFF62B-AB0E-4776-A3C5-3A691F681E47.thumb.jpeg.ea1a178327d00f2d8d70073056384755.jpeg

34 minutes ago, iain said:

I don’t believe that’s Apple Green

This is...BDEFF62B-AB0E-4776-A3C5-3A691F681E47.thumb.jpeg.ea1a178327d00f2d8d70073056384755.jpeg

Sorry to go a little off thread - but how are the spotlights on the TR3A mounted? On the bumper? Lovely colour by the way!