Confused TR4 Front Fenders

I'm closing in restoring my dad's 62 TR4.  He bought it new in 62, however, it seems in 68 he swapped the fenders for either TR4a or TR250 which had the chrome and turn signals mounted on them.  I'm thinking the fender was from a 250 because there appears to be a "filler" plate around the headlight on the passenger fender which is missing on the REPO TR4 fender.  Unfortunately he passed so my single source of info is lost.

I found that filler plate on Moss, https://mossmotors.com/front-body-panels-tr250 Item #20.  Hopefully someone can look at these pics and confirm that indeed that's the filler plate from the TR250?

Also, it looks like the REPO fender will need to have the metal bent and shaped around the headlamp area, anyone ever use one of these Repo fenders, any words of wisdom on all the things to get them up to snuff?

0905191409.jpg

Capture3.JPG

Edited by cinoaz

That's the correct piece but having recently had to fit some myself I found the replacement parts useless and made my own to fit.

The pictures aren't brilliant but will hopefully give you an idea of the problem. The black one is the replacement, the middle one is whats left of the original and the last one is the one I made.

The replacement is completely the wrong shape & the nuts welded in the wrong place at the end....up to you but it will probably be less pain and cheaper in the long run to offer the wing up & get it all lined up as it should be & then fabricate a filler piece that actually fits as it should......

Wing filler.jpg

Wing filler2.jpg

2 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

That filler plate is on all the michelotti TRs TR4/4A/5/250

Thanks, and that's the confusing part.  Looking on Moss, the filler plate is ONLY listed for the 250, for TR4/4a it's not listed, that filler plate.  Thanks for clarification.

I'm still looking to see if there might be a used fender out there, getting this Repo up to snuff looks like a lot of work.  The wheel well arch, on the outside of the fender, is terribly wavy and the original fenders had a bow on them on the part that lines up with the doors, the Repo's are straight sheet metal.  

A few other things as well, but, unfortunately my search for a used fender has been unsuccessful.

Can you just fill in the holes and use the 250 one? Bastuk are remaking these fenders and should be available in the states (I guess this where you are) I think the closing panel is not fitted and you will still have to fabricate or rework one from Moss.

Good luck.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

On 9/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, cinoaz said:

Thanks, and that's the confusing part.  Looking on Moss, the filler plate is ONLY listed for the 250, for TR4/4a it's not listed, that filler plate.  Thanks for clarification.

Here is the Moss (Europe) page and part    https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/body-panels/front-inner-body-panels-tr4-4a.html

Item #70

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I would repair what you have as it looks as if the repro one is very short in the area where that infill piece fits anyway. The only real difference between 4 and 4a/250 wings are the holes for the indicator repeater and the beading strips, easily welded up.

Stuart.