CP Throttle Bodies - air bleed screw

I have a set of bodies but don't recognize the air bleed screw. Someone has suggested it is off the later TR5, or very early TR6 specification. This would have been before the brass, later air bleed screw and after the version with no bleed at all.

Any ideas?

ColinCapture.JPG.8da7c15eb9bed8d7311a2ee226418abf.JPG

Colin, they were fitted by the Dealers to very late TR5 and also to earlier TR5's where there were complaints about loss of idling due to lacquer build up in the butterflies.  The Triumph drawing showing how they were to be fitted is dated 22nd October 1968 and further details provided in Newsletter 183 to the Dealers dated 1st November 1968 so after production had finished. I have copies of both and can scan and send to anyone interested, just send me a pm with email address.

11 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

loss of idling due to lacquer build up in the butterflies. 

That's an interesting one. Maybe today's fuel doesn't do that; I've not had to clean the throttle plates in my Webers in 23 years / 130K miles. I do use cleaning additives however.

Tom

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

Is that a standard air bleed valve? Or is it a modification to allow a second bleed valve to be fitted to help No's 5 & 6 plugs from sooting up at idle.

Thats the very early factory version before the brass sprung version.

Stuart.

Mike, the early air valve is part no 152689. Agreed that it isn't listed as a separate part in the parts catalogue where it comes as part of the inlet manifold. It is however noted in the service newsletters and drawings.

Derek

Tom,

attached poor copy scan from Newsletter 180 of the 11th October 1968 notes that it is down to a gradual build up of congealed oil on the face of the butterflies which can only be down to oil from the crankcase ventilation as you note

Derek  

img016.jpg

Thanks for that, Derek - amazing archive you have!

As it happens, my Weber DCOE setup incorporates the SMITHS PCV valve downstream of the carbs just like the original TR250s did, so carbs/throttle plates are held harmless.

Original sales brochure for the TR5 shows the same valve; guess they changed their mind.

Tom