Might be a stupid question as I'm a bit away from needing the seemingly problematic AD, but why not dispense with it completely and just have a cable made up to fit direct from the gearbox to the speedo if there is room?

Or is the gearing in the AD required to read the correct speed. Anyone thought of putting the gearing at the back of the speedo?

Andy

Hi Andy,

this is done on the TR2 - 4 and can be retro fitted to the 4A, 5, 6.

I am trying to find time to  digitise the OD output and feeding that to the speedo - not easy when your an idiot.

I have a nice encoder but linking into the speedo is an issue.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

this is done on the TR2 - 4 and can be retro fitted to the 4A, 5, 6.

I am trying to find time to  digitise the OD output and feeding that to the speedo - not easy when your an idiot.

I have a nice encoder but linking into the speedo is an issue.

Roger

Sounds like a very good way forward. Not even slightly idiotic!

Nigel

Thanks Rodger and Alan. 

If it can be retro fitted as just a single cable as per TR2 - 4 it sounds like its the way to go or is there a reason not to?

These guys could make one up along with any further improvements required https://speedycables.com/

Andy

3 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Thanks Rodger and Alan. 

If it can be retro fitted as just a single cable as per TR2 - 4 it sounds like its the way to go or is there a reason not to?

These guys could make one up along with any further improvements required https://speedycables.com/

Andy

Take care the cable doesn't have to go through too tight a turn as it leaves the overdrive. Getting the cable to turn 90 degrees from the overdrive and clear the tunnel cover risks bending it too much, causing a different reason for failure.

Nigel

On 9/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, stuart said:

No it should come up over the steering column. Heres another view of a different solution.

Stuart.

Triumph-TR5-1967-1969-by-eric.jpg

Thank Stuart I also noticed that bonet cable is also on the wrong side

On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, dave-lewis said:

Hi Jose,

Sorry to hear that.  After how many kms did it break? Was it another repro  or a  soldered repaired one like mine?

As I am leaving for Pamplona, probably approx 1800 kms round trip next week , I am hoping that my soldered angle drive will last.Otherwise it is back to the drawing board, again. We shall see!

Kind Regards,

Dave from a cooler rainy Spain

Hi Dave, just snaped after 3k new repro from the box, Rimmers selling one for £75 but it looks diferent, 

Enjoy up there im pamplona

Hi Jose,

I spoke too soon.  I just drove up the road to fill up ready for the trip and the, I assume the angle drive has gone again. So it's back to the drawing board, again.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Thanks Jose, will do. thanks.

To all the TR people going to Pamplona, Have a safe journey and drive carefully. See you there.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain