What spares to take on holiday ?

I was wondering what are the popular spares to have stashed away in the boot when going touring in a TR6 ? Your recommendations would be most welcome.  Thanks 

Hi, I normally take this lot but if doing a longer tour in Europe maybe a few extra bits e.g. wheel bearing kit etc.

BOOT SPARES LIST

Boot Upper: Warning Triangle, 3/8 Drive Socket Set, Trolley Jack.

Boot Bag: 2 Lts 50/50 Water, 2 X H4 Bulbs, Light Bulb Set, Spanner Set.

Boot Lower: Coil, Fan Belt, Bottle Of Rad Weld, 1/2 Lt Brake Fluid, Emergency Tape, Overalls, Foot-Pump, Tow Rope, Scissor Jack,Assorted Screwdrivers, Pipe Clamp, Tyre Gloves, Jump Leads.

Tool Roll: Brake Adjuster Spanner,Adjustable Spanner, Mole Grips, Magnetic Pick-Up, Feeler Gauges, Stanley Knife, Large Pliers, Wire Cutters, Tape, Long-Nose Pliers. 

Under Spare Wheel: Injector Push In, Adaptor Seals, Mu O Rings, Red Drive Gear, Large Cable Ties, Dizzy Cap, Rotor Arm, Condenser, Points, Lead Set, Spark Plug Set, Flasher Relays, Relays, Throttle Cable, Radiator Hoses, Jubilee Clips, Wire & Connectors, Brake Light Switch, Battery Screw, Copper Eaze, Rad Cap.

In Car: First Aid Kit, Scissors, Fire Extinguisher.

Glove Box: Assorted Fuses, Assorted Cable Ties, Manual, Phone Leads etc. 

Engine Bay: 2 Lt of 20/60w Oil.

Maybe it’s a bit to much but the way my luck goes, more the merrier.

Edited by Kevo_6

That appears to cover most of my car content, I also take a clutch friction plate and bearing which I slip beside my tank, well wrapped plus 4 travel stands when travelling abroad. 

As Roger said if you have TRRI European breakdown policy at £40 take your booklet and TSO Code.

Those insured with the TRRI classic car scheme are covered for parts while in the vehicle as standard.

Section 3 – Spare Parts and “Accessories
What is covered under this section
We will pay for the replacement or repair of your vehicle’s spare parts and accessories following loss or damage provided that the loss or damage occurs whilst they are kept in or on your vehicle or stored in your locked private garage as declared to us.”

“The maximum amount they will pay under Section 3 is 10% of your vehicle’s market or agreed value up to a maximum of £1000 for any claim arising out of the one incident”.

Edited by Derek Hurford
4 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi, I normally take this lot but if doing a longer tour in Europe maybe a few extra bits e.g. wheel bearing kit etc.

BOOT SPARES LIST

Boot Upper: Warning Triangle, 3/8 Drive Socket Set, Trolley Jack.

Boot Bag: 2 Lts 50/50 Water, 2 X H4 Bulbs, Light Bulb Set, Spanner Set.

Boot Lower: Coil, Fan Belt, Bottle Of Rad Weld, 1/2 Lt Brake Fluid, Emergency Tape, Overalls, Foot-Pump, Tow Rope, Scissor Jack,Assorted Screwdrivers, Pipe Clamp, Tyre Gloves, Jump Leads.

Tool Roll: Brake Adjuster Spanner,Adjustable Spanner, Mole Grips, Magnetic Pick-Up, Feeler Gauges, Stanley Knife, Large Pliers, Wire Cutters, Tape, Long-Nose Pliers. 

Under Spare Wheel: Injector Push In, Adaptor Seals, Mu O Rings, Red Drive Gear, Large Cable Ties, Dizzy Cap, Rotor Arm, Condenser, Points, Lead Set, Spark Plug Set, Flasher Relays, Relays, Throttle Cable, Radiator Hoses, Jubilee Clips, Wire & Connectors, Brake Light Switch, Battery Screw, Copper Eaze, Rad Cap.

In Car: First Aid Kit, Scissors, Fire Extinguisher.

Glove Box: Assorted Fuses, Assorted Cable Ties, Manual, Phone Leads etc. 

Engine Bay: 2 Lt of 20/60w Oil.

Maybe it’s a bit to much but the way my luck goes, more the merrier.

All the above with an addition of a spare ignition barrel and keys. Cheap to buy and easy to fit should your ignition key break (as did mine) or indeed you lose your key.

Paul

Plug, Pints, condenser, plug lead, king lead, dizzy cap and rotor arm, spare ignition module. Fan belt. spare hoses, wire and terminals. Fuel pump, spare injector leads (No2 and No1) Metering unit drive dog.

Spare bulbs, brake fluid, oil. 

Somewhere in the depths of the boot I have a seal kit for clutch master and slave and for the brake master cylinder. Spare U/J.  Bars Leaks. Socket set and tool box.

If travelling with others abroad may consider one of us having water pump & alternator.

I don't tend to carry coolant as water will do on a temporary basis and don't tend to go abroad in the winter although have been over Stelvio in snow.

You are overlooking location John.  They may be available but are they accessible?  Sod's law says you will need those things far from the nearest shop or at times when they are not open.   I carry some of these items even in the UK, for that very reason.

I put this list together for my sidescreen friends. It also  applies to a TR6 with maybe some modifications.

TR TOURING SPARESv2.docx

Which bit of wilderness do you intend to explore?

having said that, an aquaintence at Duxford complained that not a single spares shop or motor factor in his overnight stay town had in stock, or knew what was, a high tension spark plug lead!     But if you can buy fuel you can buy brake fluid, or oil, or bulbs.   The last may go to LEDs soon.

john

On 9/3/2019 at 6:55 PM, john.r.davies said:

Which bit of wilderness do you intend to explore?

having said that, an aquaintence at Duxford complained that not a single spares shop or motor factor in his overnight stay town had in stock, or knew what was, a high tension spark plug lead!     But if you can buy fuel you can buy brake fluid, or oil, or bulbs.   The last may go to LEDs soon.

john

In Australia it can be a long way to anywhere, especially on a weekend. You might find a workshop but if you don't have the spares it can be a long wait.

I try to be able to fix anything beside the road that can reasonably be fixed there. I carry a few things that a workshop can fit but won't be able to get easily.

In 2017 on a 2 week 4000km tour with 40 or so sidescreens my spares kept 5 other cars going. Most of them carried nothing. I want to help others but when you give up your only spare it leaves you in the lurch.

Lots of good advice on which parts to take already. Sufficient to say in my experience, spare parts are like lucky charms. The ones I take I never need. It’s the parts I leave behind on the bench that I want.

Parts aside - If you plan to drive in Europe then take the TR Register Euro Breakdown Directory (which I believe the Register is updating) either as a hard copy or as a PDF on your tablet or phone

When we came to a halt on the recent Liege-Brescia-Liege Rally with a loose drive shaft, we found an excellent British Sports Car Garage in Treviso Italy on page 42 of the Directory.  Moreover as we were 60 miles away, RAC Euro Assist agreed to trailering us to the Garage – MG Autofficina, rather than the local Fiat franchise. MG Autofficina fixed our car in an hour.

And, if you're not multilingual take a hard copy of a parts Catalogue for your car – the Moss Catalogue for example.

When you get to the garage of your choice it solves the language problem of how to describe the fault to the proprietor/mechanic who may not speak English. 

You can point to the part on the page – a picture speaks a thousand words. It worked for us.

However after our impromptu pit stop I can now remember the Italian for “my nuts are loose”

Bon voyage.

Martin

If you use dot5 brake fluid it is worth carrying a bottle as most garages wont stock it.

Last year in France I had a slow leak from the master cylinder and had to make a long detour to find a Harley Davidson dealer to get fluid and pay Harley prices to boot. (Harleys use Dot5 from standard)

George

On 9/4/2019 at 12:56 PM, John McCormack said:

In Australia it can be a long way to anywhere, especially on a weekend. You might find a workshop but if you don't have the spares it can be a long wait.

I try to be able to fix anything beside the road that can reasonably be fixed there. I carry a few things that a workshop can fit but won't be able to get easily.

In 2017 on a 2 week 4000km tour with 40 or so sidescreens my spares kept 5 other cars going. Most of them carried nothing. I want to help others but when you give up your only spare it leaves you in the lurch.

I bow to your exploratory expertise!     The Oz outback definitely qualifies as 'wilderness'!

J.

Plus the "brown book" and a list of TR owner contacts/clubs from the country you are travelling in.

A

On 9/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, Kevo_6 said:

Glove Box : Assorted Fuses, Assorted Cable Ties, Manual, Phone Leads etc. 

That's a decent sized glove box you got there.! ..to get a workshop manual to fit in.  OK sorry.. mute point. 

But I might also recommend a wiring diagram photocopied and scaled-up to A3 size  ..so you can read it in torch light,  trace the route of wires through the maze,  make notes on it,  screw it up and kick it,  etc., etc  - all much easier when it's bigger :lol:   Oh, and wrap that in clear plastic to keep it dry from the rain too..   

So also ; a Hi-vis raincoat long enough to keep your bum dry when leaning over into the engine bay  ..and a hat that doesn't dribble exceedingly cold rain water down your neck. 

. . . sorry it's time for me to take another tablet.