BONNET LIFT ASSEMBLY

Never own a classic car!! (just kidding)

The bracket holding the bonnet lift assembly decided that it had enough of life and sheered off by the mounting point on the right hand side. Took the offending part off with the intention of getting it welded up by merely undoing the two bolts where it is mounted to the crossbar that is bolted to the brackets on each wing.Looked up the relevant part number and realised that most suppliers sold a whole assembly which included the top bracket,plunger,spring,cups at top and bottom of the spring,right & left hand support brackets which are attach by screws to the the cross bar on the underside. Approximate costs £60/70......Ouch

Luckily Revingtons sold the parts as individual items so I merely purchased the top bracket (Part No 603084) which was far cheaper than the welding costs.

The problem I now have is that the assembly should have been attached not only to the face of the crossbar but also to the underside however it appears that from the time the car was built this has not been the case as the are no corresponding holes to enable the right & left hand support brackets to be screwed onto the underside of the crossbar.

I can only assume that the bracket broke off as there was too much pressure on it without the additional strength of it not in effect being supported at four points.

The questions I pose to those of experience are :-

1. Has anyone else experienced the same problem

2.How do you drill the relevant holes to screw the assembly to the underside of the crossbar while it is still on the car as I can't see how you can remove the crossbar without taking off the front completely.

Answers on the a postcard please.

Cheers

Gordon

Doesn't the cross-bar just unbolt?  A bracket at each end and several bolts along the length on my '3A

Thanks for the replies so far.

The cross-bar does unbolt but it is attached to the body of the front section. It appears that you have to lift the front section up about 2" before you can slide the bar downwards to remove it from the the front section. The fixing bracket on each inner wing is welded so you can't unbolt it and slide them away.

The idea about an angle drive looks interesting and it appears that there is room to use one. Off to Flea-bay to see what's on offer.

Cheers

Gordon

Feel under the rh side of the bar. You may find the required screw holes. It way have been fitted wrong way round.  I know I did that once    Not a great help for you as the bar will still need to be removed to turn it round  

cheers

Petet W

You will be glad to hear that my problem has now been solved. Thank you to Miles A for the helpful suggestion to use a flexible drive. I managed to borrow one from a friend. There was enough room to drill the holes so the support bracket could be attached to the underside of the cross-bar using the correct self tapping screws.

As ever the Forum has come up trumps in sorting out my little problem.

Thank you one and all for your invaluable assistance.

Cheers

Gordon