Leaking like a sieve

1 hour ago, Andy303 said:

You need negative pressure, either from manifold vacuum or the under chassis venturi effect, to provide proper crankcase ventilation. The catch can captures the "gunk" before it enters the intake (hence the name) though on a high mileage car some fine oily mist might still be draw into the engine.

Stuart: On your TR4A is the draft tube installed in the "old" location in the engine block, or did you blank off the fuel pump and tap into the blanking plate?

I have the lower pipe for the catch tank into the block where the original draft tube would have been, though being a 4a it was blanked off originally.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

So my friendly garage has had it up on a lift and checked the gearbox oil level, which is fine. The oil on the underside of the gearbox is engine oil, so it looks indeed as if its coming out of the crankshaft rear seal. Can I replace that without the engine coming out? 

3 hours ago, Andy303 said:

You need negative pressure, either from manifold vacuum or the under chassis venturi effect, to provide proper crankcase ventilation. The catch can captures the "gunk" before it enters the intake (hence the name) though on a high mileage car some fine oily mist might still be draw into the engine.

Stuart: On your TR4A is the draft tube installed in the "old" location in the engine block, or did you blank off the fuel pump and tap into the blanking plate?

Andy I was indeed thinking of dumping the catch tank filters and running a pipe from the tank under the chassis to get that venturi effect. Not sure if 3/4'' will be big enough though? I could move the rocker cover pipe to one of the top inlets and use a side connection for the exit pipe maybe.

My crankcase vent pipe is connected to the fuel pump blanking plate.

One last question, any preferred supplier of timing case oil seal? The other thread I was reading was about a 6 cyl engine so I guess different.

I see a biggish winter job looming....