Looking for Photoshop website

Hi Geko,

Photoshop may be able to do this, (I am not familiar enough with PS), but it ain't cheap.

I think you will find that it is not technically as simple as clicking on the item to select it. Any software that can handle this will need to identify the colour across multiple hue and saturation ranges. Our brain's ability to do this is absolutely astounding, but you need very sophisticated software to do it.

Ideally you need a Quantel Paintbox, but these were Television Broadcast quality devices produced in the 1980s, (and still the preferred option in Broadcast TV). My wife played with one when I worked for a sister company in California. It was an exceptional device, but £100k+ at that time. Quantel are no longer around. They were based in Newbury but sold worldwide.

Kind regards

TT

Edited by tthomson

I used photoshop v.6 for quite a few years now,  occasionally professionally when I was in yacht design, so I'm reasonably comfortable in using it.

For the sake of discussion I changed the colour of the following against the clock.  It took just 6 ½ minutes.

8418050_orig.thumb.jpg.ab5e6f0bdfea1503f49e933e84094b06.jpg

TR4a.thumb.jpg.f8efea2fe4e7d32722dc0419461c3b49.jpg

Because I raced through it - this a crude example, but still useful for a quick look.  If I had spent an hour or two on it - I doubt you would not think the blue to be an original photo. And by that I mean - that's the capability of the program. It was not meant as a boast from me.  

The process of doing this was firstly to choose an image which was easy to work with. So, a white car clearly defined against a dark background.  I then selected overall very light / white tones, which happened to also pick chrome (bumpers, wheels, wiper arms, wing mirror, grille and headlamps), also much of the driveway's gravel, and the white flowers in the hedgerow.   Using a crude but quick tool called a lasso - I deducted those items from the selection. What the overall selection didn't select was the darker shades of this car's sill, and those areas under the bumpers. so again for quickness I used the same tool to add those body panels to the selection.   Then, actually changing the colour took less than half a minute (which actually took two attempts, as the first one came out with too vibrant a blue along the sills).

I might save the blue as a copy, and then already having that selection changed it again to red and saved it as yet another copy. And again to green, mauve, or florescent yellow if that's what took my fancy ..saving each as a separate copy.  I might have played around with changing the tone to darker or lighter, or perhaps the hue of the base colour with a little more mauve to the tint, or perhaps a tad more (or less) yellow in the red version ?   

Once the selection was defined each change of colour would only take a few moments.  I might also save 'the selection' on a different layer, and come back to making changes on another day.     

I can also select part of another photo, such as a wheel, and paste it into this one. Then adjust its tone and/or exact scale, I could change the angle to make its perspective look right. Then add or less its shadow or highlight.  Most casual observers would never know the car never had those wheels on it.

Of course like any program - it would take a few sessions to learn to it's functions, and then quite a bit of practice to make it happen quickly enough. And at the end of the day it takes a good eye (as in artistic) to get things balanced well enough to look true to life.

So there you go.  I've always liked photoshop and the results are almost always worth the time I put into it. 

I hope the above is in some ways useful and perhaps even a little inspiring.

Pete.

11 hours ago, Deggers said:

Hi Stef,

There are also currently a few free options online.

A good one I use from time to time is 'Pixlr Editor', which offers a very handy 'colour replacement' tool :

Also works well with no added water  :)  :

TRPhotA.thumb.jpg.cd57e1693317f1904fc107a00b2d7bf7.jpg

TRPhotB.thumb.jpg.c78d73be39157b3dea38eb191d4919bb.jpg

TRPhotC.thumb.jpg.4dce469f7da053fd4baa0ad3b75e1edc.jpg

TRPhotD.thumb.jpg.1e09f0babc0260fbcc6686da35605ce5.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

This is what i'm looking for ! Thanks all