Rear bulb Holder Hassle

Good evening fellow TR6ers. Last night I noticed that the o/s tail light wasn't working, on TRoy, my 1970 TR6 pi. After some investigation, I found that it's the bulb holder that's to blame... Most irritating, considering that this particular unit's only 3 or 4 years old.

Before I fork out for a new one, does anybody know of any ways to repair these things, or even where to buy decent quality bulb holders that might work for a reasonable amount of time!

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

Are you sure there is no water getting into the bulb holder? If it is dry any bulb holder should last  many years.

A squirt of silicone oil spray (£2.50'ish a can) to coat the bulb base and metal work will assist in preventing corrosion in a new holder.

Alan

Thanks Alan, Roger & Waldi. Your comments are most welcome (esp the Link to Eds' website... most impressive!!).

This is such a head scratcher for me, as there is no visible corrosion in the bulb holder (it still looks brand new), & I can't see any breakage. Earthing  doesn't make any difference (I've had similar probs with the rear indicators, which I cured by attaching earth wires). Still it'll be worth seeing if silicon oil makes any difference.

Cheers,

Paul

Had this last week. The problem was due to a poor contact to the base of the bulb when in the bulb holder, pressing the base of the holder lit the bulb. So I gently bent the two copper strips further into the holder to put more pressure on the base of the bulb. A thicker strip of copper should retain the shape/contact better

An easy way to improve the earthing is to solder in additional earth wires.

i did this a couple of years ago and not had a problem since post-9473-0-17170100-1525246370_thumb.jpeg

steve

Paul - before you can repair it you need to find out why the bulb isn't making proper contact. If an earth wire doesn't help it must be a simple mechanical dimension problem. Silicon oil isn't going to fix that and in fact may make things worse because it isn't conductive. Have you tried a different bulb which might fit better?

Evening gents, many thanks for your responses.... I have swapped bulbs, because the original issue was that the 'dull' (tail lamp) filament in the bulb had failed, but then that bulb might have been a better fit than what's in there now; problems breed more problems!  I shall keep digging.

Sweet dreams,

Paul.

If you can test the bulb and bulb holder on the bench using a battery.  

But be careful not to short out the battery.

Also if you have a multi-meter check you have a voltage at the bulb holder connectors. This is not always conclusive as the multi-meter doesn't provide sufficient load to show a poor earth. But still worth a check.   

Dave 

Hello, just thought I'd give you all a quick progress report: This morning, I tweaked the tail lamp contact, within the bulb holder, which resulted in the tail lamp working, but not the brake lamp (the opposite of the situation last night; grrrr..., but it did prove a point). However, after a bit more fiddling of two contacts, I now have both tail-lamps AND brake lamps working (for the moment!).... a miracle!  

I will, in the not too distant future, be looking at earth leads for all my rear lamps (already got them on the indicators). 

A big thank you to all of you, for your kind & knowledgeable advice; Happy TRing to you all!

Best wishes,

Paul

Had same problem with our TR6 and MK4 Zodiac that has the same bulb type holder. Soldered on separate earths. All is well.

Alan G