Big Deal (was for me)

Went out in the TR last night just a bit of a spin out to a country pub for a meal (mineral water for me ) the car ran faultlessly, loads of admiring glances when I parked up. Came out the pub started the car up it was terrible lumpy and missing like crazy, went straight back home, terrible drive.

Got back home and pulled the bonnet felt for the pulse on the fuel injection hoses (picked that up at the garage)no2 dead zilch Nader. Now I am not mechanical at all but I just kept wondering shall I have a go at swop or cleaning the injector, so out came the big brown book, I found the page and followed the instructions using my  Stirrup pump to blow through the injector, I carefully put it back in, checking and re checking, all looked fine and dandy.  Now the moment of truth, I turned the key she roared into life first time with a great pulse in the hose. Took her out for a spin, back to her best. I know it’s small beer to most but I got a lot of satisfaction from doing it.

Paul

Edited by Paul Hill

Brilliant Paul. I completely understand your satisfaction. I remember trying to sort out a blocked injector on my '6 for the first time, having only ever tuned carbs before (badly no doubt). Learning is fun!

Nigel

That's the great thing about classic cars, there is just as much fun to be had tinkering with them than just driving alone. 

Maybe some debris had blocked the injector. It's good to have a spare injector on board so you can switch it. It's also possible to bleed an injector while the engine is running, but taking it out and tapping it or very gently pulling the end till it starts to spray a nice cone shape. 

Gareth

Could this be just a vapour lock in the injector line? Possibly another effect of the volatility of modern fuel. I find that when I leave mine out in the sun all day after a drive (typically the drive in to work) it runs lumpy as heck, missing on one or even two. Same symptom, and diagnosis using the 'pulse' also yielded the same response (i.e. no pulse). I've wrestled with this for a few years now, and nursed the car home, but recently found the instant solution is a sharp stab of full throttle, which I guess blows the obstruction through. Probably best not to do this on a stone cold engine, but since the problem only occurs when the engine is warm anyway I'm not too bothered.

I too was very pleased when this simple cure for a failed injector worked. For me the perennial problem was No. 5 injector - I've long ago  lost the line filters in the MU banjo's and I suspect my fuel system  internal elastomers were being destroyed by  modern  fuel  which generated small particles which in turn caused intermittent blocking of the injector. After blowing the injector clean on about a monthly basis I found that rebuilding the fuel system with Viton elastomers finally fixed the problem.

I can't recommend testing the injector flow patterns with a running engine since  I had a small engine fire trying this method. The fire only damaged the nylon line to the injector but it could have been serious had I not put it out quickly. I now test injectors with all the plugs removed, the LT lead off the coil and the injectors discharging into separate jars.   

Good luck, I hope that you've only got a once off problem.

I did try the Italian tune up as I came across Cannock Chase as it’s a fast Road needless to say it didn’t work