TR7 V8 clutch question

Hi all

I am replacing the clutch on my TR7 V8 project and just need a bit of clarification on the correct one to fit.

The old clutch kit is a 9 1/2 inch Borg and Back non self centering unit, the pressure plate has no numbers stamped on it and has 18 fingers.

The friction plate has the number 53005 stamped on one side and 47810 stamped on the other.

I have done a bit of research and can't find much in the way of identifying which kit these come from, but have found that Borg and Beck use kit number HK8899 for the Rover Sd1 and TR8.

Before spending out I just need to confirm that this is the correct clutch kit for my car which has a 3.9 efi Range Rover engine and a TR7 LT77 gearbox.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mike

Sadly 190+ views and no responses to what I considered would be a straight forward question to those who have done a V8 conversion. Someone must know.

Also some kits have covers with 15 fingers instead of 18 as on my old one and a different number of springs on the friction place. Why is there a difference?

Lee

On 26 August 2019 at 9:06 PM, LEETR4A said:

Hi all

I am replacing the clutch on my TR7 V8 project and just need a bit of clarification on the correct one to fit.

The old clutch kit is a 9 1/2 inch Borg and Back non self centering unit, the pressure plate has no numbers stamped on it and has 18 fingers.

The friction plate has the number 53005 stamped on one side and 47810 stamped on the other.

I have done a bit of research and can't find much in the way of identifying which kit these come from, but have found that Borg and Beck use kit number HK8899 for the Rover Sd1 and TR8.

Before spending out I just need to confirm that this is the correct clutch kit for my car which has a 3.9 efi Range Rover engine and a TR7 LT77 gearbox.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lee

Hi Lee 

I would consider sending your old assembly to Precision Clutches for refurbishment. 

http://precisionclutch.co.uk/

they come recommended from other TR owners and repairers.

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the replies Robin and Peter.

I posted on the TR7 forum site, but didn't get much response so I have spoken to the Precision Clutch Company who are going to refurb my existing clutch.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I got my clutch back a couple of weeks ago and i'm very pleased with the result.

Precision Clutch Company fully rebuilt the cover assembly as original complete with a new 18 finger pressure plate.

They also replaced the friction plate as they had the correct one in stock and replaced the bearing and all for £180 including shipping.

Just waiting for the flywheel to come back from being skimmed and then the reassembly begins.

Lee

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:06 PM, LEETR4A said:

Hi all

Thanks in anticipation.

Lee

Hi  i had lots off these pressure plates and baskets brand new old stock  but could not identify them and sold them on , i still have 3 kits , with the same numbers on, has a large coarse  spline( i think 10 ) drop me an e mail if yout r interested