Travel insurance

I recently used the AA European breakdown cover for a single trip to France, insured for the trip only, no problems whatsoever as their services were required for repatriation (water pump failure and head gasket). Cost of insurance was £30 for the five days, hire car provided for the rest of holiday and returnable to nearest agent in UK, my car was delivered back in a covered transporter within three days of my return, fantastic service and no quibble.

Paul

TRR breakdown insurance is delivered by the AA. Just remember to quote the overall TRR policy number as given in TR Action: TSO/6900196 and your vehicle registration.

Mick

European Breakdown Insurance. 

Assuming you are insured through the TRRI scheme you can include breakdown insurance that covers you at home and abroad. This will cover you for the whole year provided its added on when taking it out the TRRI policy for first time or when renewing your policy.  The premium is set therefore if you add it part way though the year it will be the same.

However having been the beneficiary of their service abroad I believe it was a small price to pay and as Paul J has said above, he was charged £30 for AA European breakdown for 5 days, It is not available as stand alone cover so if you are not with our TRRI Scheme you would need to find an alternative perhaps like Paul J but there are others. 

In the event of a claim as Mick  has said you need to quote the TSO number provided together with your registration number as this policy provides cover for multi classic vehicles covered under your TRRI Scheme policy. If you PM me your email address I’ll  send you details of the cover provided

Derek.

+1

(But they changed the age rules on the personal travel insurance so now you have to pay £75 if you are over 70 and want that cover. Still a bargain.)

I would ask that you check with your Bank if there is a restriction on the age of a vehicle covered. 

The personal travel insurance covering baggage medical etc you should check what’s covered my bank offered it to me, yet when I attempted to obtain the cover,  because of pre existing illnesses they confirmed they did not cover any existing conditions. That’s me, you need to check for yourself. The TRRI specific European breakdown cover is not age related providing you have our TRRI scheme policy.

The AA used to have an age limit for the car, but don’t seem to now. They just say that if it costs more to recover the car than what the car is worth then they won’t recover it.  I’m not sure what you are supposed to do in that situation. They would (I think) pay for car hire etc, but you end up with your car stuck in some garage in Europe and the only choice would be to scrap it.

When I worked for the US Airforce in Greece all ours cars were tax free and if a car was written off you had to pay to have it craned onto a ship and thrown off the side into international waters. Maybe it will be the same in Europe after Brexit…

Charlie

My TR7 was valued at £4500 at the time, they came out realised it could not be repaired at the side of the road, it was taken to a garage, from which it was transported to my designated address and they provided me with a hire car for onward journey, the hire car was left at the port, a taxi was waiting for me when I got to the other-side and took me home. My car arrived 5 days later in a covered transporter.

I was close to Angouleme in France 600km journey in France plus ferry crossing to Plymouth from Roscoe  plus Taxi to home. 

My car is still with me and just fine. You really do read some real  horror stories.

Derek

We've used RAC on a number of occasions.  Can't fault there service when they recovered my friends stag after it dropped a valve at Le Mans.  One thing to keep a close eye on is how the maximum value of coverage is calculated.  If it on car value it is possible to max out your cover before it is returned. Particularly if you are in eastern Europe.  Top RAC level of coverage include a both hire car and hotels as well as some coverage to pay for repairs. 

5 hours ago, Charlie D said:

The AA used to have an age limit for the car, but don’t seem to now. They just say that if it costs more to recover the car than what the car is worth then they won’t recover it.  I’m not sure what you are supposed to do in that situation. They would (I think) pay for car hire etc, but you end up with your car stuck in some garage in Europe and the only choice would be to scrap it.

When I worked for the US Airforce in Greece all ours cars were tax free and if a car was written off you had to pay to have it craned onto a ship and thrown off the side into international waters. Maybe it will be the same in Europe after Brexit…

Charlie

This happened to one of the Club TRiumph Chaps a couple of years ago on a 10 CR.

The Spitfire (I think) had a lowish value (£3000 - 4000) so the insurance said bye bye.

The chap was able to get home (insurance hire car !!!). After leaving the car safely somewhere. He Then returned either with a trailer or all the tools to sort it (not sure which)

But he was then able to get the car home.

This shouldn't be small print - this should be in big letters on page 1.  Insurance companies should be ashamed of themselves.

Roger 

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

This shouldn't be small print - this should be in big letters on page 1.  Insurance companies should be ashamed of themselves.

Roger,

I bet the AA are actually rubbing their hands thinking about the extra profit they now make.

What I find wrong is that with the AA 5 star a person with a £100,000 brand new Rolls Royce pays the same insurance premium as a person with a 10 year old £1000 Fiat Punto.(Me). Seems no logic in it apart from the fact that the AA can refuse to recover my car, and save some money.

I’d have no problem in being charged more, as there is more risk of my car breaking down, but I don’t get the choice.
What other insurance do you not pay a higher premium for a higher risk?
And as you say, you have to read the small print to discover the fact.

On the front page of their website they say (in bold letters):

“We won’t leave you stranded. Our European Breakdown Cover gives you alternative accommodation and travel arrangements, recovery of your vehicle back to the UK, and up to £50,000 in legal costs.”

It also says:

“Unlike some providers, we cover vehicles of any age – including classic cars”

Hidden in sub menus on that page are the “Terms and conditions” All 32 pages of them in a .pdf.
Not until you get to page 13 does it start to mention the value of your car.
On page 19 it says:

---
Costs of the recovery of Your Vehicle if it is calculated to be beyond commercial economic repair
(we may use Glasses guide to obtain vehicle valuations). We will never pay more than the value
of the vehicle to bring it Home. If Your Vehicle is beyond commercial economic repair, You will be
given up to eight weeks after the original incident to agree suitable alternative arrangements for the
recovery or disposal of Your Vehicle. If there no agreement has been reached after eight weeks, It
will be considered that You have authorised Us to dispose of Your Vehicle.

---

OK. It’s a gamble I take personally in order to get car hire if I do break down.
But I’d rather be given the option to pay more for full recovery.

Charlie

My Grinnall TR7V8 sadly had to be taken off the campsite at Le Mans in 2016 by TRR Insurance breakdown. 

They recovered the car, supplied a hire car which I had during the Le Mans week and took all the way to Calais where it was swapped for a UK right hand drive car for me to take on the ferry and then home to be dropped off any my nearest rental office. All fine. 

That's a lesson to me, Wayne!     When my Silverback broke down halfway back from CLM (2008?) My travel insurers (RAC) refused any of that, 'because I was with friends'    Yes, with their help, I made it home, the insurers refused the cost of my train ticket from London to the North West, and my car was delivered to me, two weeks later, damaged.     Apart from it being delivered back, I did wonder what on earth the insurance I had paid for actually covered.

John

PS Don't break down in France when they are playing in the Six Nations.    My 'garagiste' could not wait to get back to his telly, and took the car with all my luggage, sleeping bag etc etc while I was still on the phone to the RAC's agents.