Oil leak timing chain cover

Put the puller on as John ( Chilliman) suggests tighten it up tight, apply a little heat to the pulley and then give it a good tap....it should go with a reassuring bang!.......hopefully:D

Hi John,

When I have had to remove my pulley in the past (a narrow belt conversion from Moss) I have used a puller and although on one occasion I had to give it a bit of welly, it has always moved in the end.  Does your puller go right behind the pulley in which case I can't see how you would ever damage the pulley - mine is a very substantial item.  And as has already been said a sharp tap with a hammer on the puller bolt wouldn't go amiss.

Rgds Ian

John,

There is a similarly small space in front of the crank pulley on a Vitesse.   I made up this puller for the purpose:

174559577_LimitedAccessSprocketPuller(2).thumb.JPG.5be20d55cbc70a1f01e608de599637db.JPG

It's made from 1/2 x 1" rectangular tube - I had a length in the offcuts box.   The "hooks" are made from the same, cut diagonally and reinforced with a gusset.   They are bolted to the main frame so that different depths of pulley can be accomodated, by adding washers/spacers. 

1588547334_LimitedAccessSprocketPuller(3).thumb.JPG.f7961ac5edff5726f903089d6c2f1b2a.JPG

Put in place, secure by undoing the crank pulley bolt against it.   Continue undoing the bolt and it pulls the pulley off.      A tiny bead of weld in the centre of the facing side of the main frame stops the bolt 'wandering' off.

Good luck!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Well, the pulley is finanally off.:D Had to make up a puller. I ground off some of the stepped washer so that bolts could go into the puller. It was still a struggle.

All became clearer. The end of the crankshaft keyway way was burred on one side of the keyway and the pulley had been forced on. It is buggered. the pulley that is.

The chain tensioner was broken in two and the chain is asking to be replaced.

That's all for now. Today I had to switch to the Abarth and change the driveshaft boots. That turned out to be straightforward. Not likely to do anymore for a  while as a rallye in eastern France beckons next week.

A bottle of red and a pizza is calling to me.

Thanks for all your ideas and help. More later.

Edited by TwinCamJohn
  • 4 months later...