Having found metal filings in the distributor cap, I've decided to look further  - not a pretty sight! looks like some balance weights have come adrift and made a bit of a mess, might explain the poor performance! I can't seem to get the cam off upwards to get everything out for a good clean, Have put the weights back on the pins where they should be - but notice a lot of up and down play on the cam 9 (abou 1.6mm) and wonder if there might be a washer missing, I have an old 25D from another car (not TR) and there's no play on that one. Currently looking for some dismantling instructions.

IMG_2178.JPG

Looks like a case for the Distributor Doctor to me Roger. You might as well get it fixed properly with the right bits.

22 minutes ago, RobH said:

Looks like a case for the Distributor Doctor to me Roger. You might as well get it fixed properly with the right bits.

No, I'll give it a go - doesn't look to complicated........says he!:wub:

No it isn't complicated - but it's not usual for the advance weights to become dislodged so something must be amiss or badly worn. Are they the right weights and springs? You said in your other thread that the dizzy was partly dismantled when you got it. I wonder why? 

33 minutes ago, RobH said:

No it isn't complicated - but it's not usual for the advance weights to become dislodged so something must be amiss or badly worn. Are they the right weights and springs? You said in your other thread that the dizzy was partly dismantled when you got it. I wonder why? 

Probably wear, I have several from Morris Minors - they are all slightly different.

The centrifugal advance is stamped on the weight carrier, just make sure you use one correct for your engine. If you do assemble it yourself I can recommend the spring kit sold by moss, you need slightly stiffer springs than standard to suit modern fuel. 

Chris

2 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

The centrifugal advance is stamped on the weight carrier, just make sure you use one correct for your engine. If you do assemble it yourself I can recommend the spring kit sold by moss, you need slightly stiffer springs than standard to suit modern fuel. 

Chris

Yes, I see on this unit it is 10 (on the Morris Minor ones it is 16), springs on the TR one are each different one thicker than the other (someone else mentioned this). Anyway - it's had a good clean up and I'll see if it works OK this time.

All put back together and working, good rev range, steady tickover, smooth timing mark under strobe light. Just overrun at switch off - which might be a separate issue. Am pleased!

Good road test, slight hold back between 2500 - 3500, but now ignition better - will have another go with colortune tomorrow. Only problem was 1/2 mile from home and the throttle linkage jammed _FULL ON!  Interesting, was nearly 50 years ago the same thing happened to me in one of my TR2's. :rolleyes:

Could be running weak from midrange try opening mixture screws 1 or 2 flats

Chris

45 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Could be running weak from midrange try opening mixture screws 1 or 2 flats

Chris

More than likely, colortune was struggling because ignition was a bit squiffy.