Can't fit the grille - front valence twisted upwards

Gents, years of bumper-to-bumper driving has taken its toll on the front valance. Now that the car is at the paintshop i'm trying to find a redress because i can't refit the grille properly (see schematic). The sides are ok (where the cups are) but the whole lower section of the grille fools the valance. I miss at least 5 mm to be able to slide the grille in properly.

Now trying to find a way to do it. I've tried bending the skirt of the valance to get some clearance but it comes back to shape so it's not the right way. Banging the flat of the valance doesn't work either, all it does is denting it and whacking on a long wooden across the flat doesn't work either as it rebounds.

There should be a more structural and definite solution.

So how ?

Cheers

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 17.43.58.jpeg

Just had a look under my 4A. The front bumper attaches to two extensions to the front chassis. These extensions bolt onto the sides of the chassis and are adjustable. I had to adjust these on mine to get the bumper in correct place. Loosen bolts holding these to the chassis and the bolts for attaching the bumper that go through the valance. There are also bolts holding the valance to the front lower part of the wings. Loosen these. You should then be able to knock the valance down using a rubber faced hammer. Take care this does not rebound and hit you in the face (done that myself).

What you need is the Birmingham screwdriver - what the production line workers called the 'big hammer'.

Seriously though I would have thought that there is no need for drilling and welding if it fitted previously. Just needs some adjustment.

Good luck

Keith