LONG DOOR TR2 RESTORATION NEARING COMPLETION

For those who have been following the restoration of my TR2 it is getting to the end.

Originally delivered to Perth, Western Australia it came to the east coast soon after. I am the 3rd owner, the first raced the car until 1965 and the 2nd owner started working on it in 1966. He never got around to finishing it before he became ill and I bought TS3732O 2 1/2 years ago in two trailer loads. It was registered again 5 weeks ago.

Nearly 500 miles have been covered since in a variety of conditions. It took a bit of work to get a good load on the engine to bed the rings in because it has so much power very little throttle is needed even at 110 kph. 

This morning I took her on a Register coffee run 80kms from home. The drive combines built up areas, 110kph freeway and winding hilly old highway roads. It is the 2nd similar drive since it was back on the road.

It is a delight to drive, heaps of power and the clutch, gearbox, steering, brakes and suspension all work well. The new standard rear springs have solved the rear end issues from the competition springs that were in it. Not too many rattles or squeaks and many of them should be resolved when I get the rest of the interior installed.

The overdrive needs work so when I got home today out came the gearbox. It isn't anything major, I hope. A fellow Register member is going to fix it in the next week or so.

An oil leak from the fuel pump to be fixed and the low port head and 1 1/2"carbies to replace the high port head and 1 3/4" SUs on it now. A bit of work on originality still to be done, e.g.  the screw on oil filter to be replaced with an original by pass one.

Once the gearbox is back in we will complete the Jonathon Skinner interior installation.

Another car rescued.

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

Edited by John McCormack

Thanks Roger. Photos??

Edited by John McCormack

Great work John.  Sounds like your getting to the best bit working through teething  problems and enjoying the car on the road were  it should be

all the best Jonathan 

10 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

This is where I am as of today John.

Maybe a bit longer than a year!!

Hopefully in colour by the end of the month, and body

back on chassis.

Cheers

Roger M-E

DSCN4948.JPG

DSCN4949.JPG

DSCN4952.JPG

DSCN4955.JPG

DSCN4954.JPG

DSCN4956.JPG

Mine was the same about 15 months ago. I find you make great progress combined with periods of work with little to show for it. It took me 3 days to get the bonnet latches restored and working properly.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, roger murray-evans said:

This is where I am as of today John.

Maybe a bit longer than a year!!

Hopefully in colour by the end of the month, and body

back on chassis.

Cheers

Roger M-E

DSCN4948.JPG

DSCN4949.JPG

DSCN4952.JPG

DSCN4955.JPG

DSCN4954.JPG

DSCN4956.JPG

Dont forget the little tag for the handbrake cable tension spring.

Stuart.

Its very similar to the little tag on the bulkhead that the throttle return spring fixes too and its located at the right hand rear end of the prop tunnel to floor flange facing into the tunnel.

Stuart.