Interesting lift?

No link?

domain registered  on 14 August. According to whois.com

Regards,

Dave from Hot sunny Spain

Having established that the lift in question is too big, too expensive, and too scammy, does anyone here have recommendations for a good useful home lift? I've seen various options out there, and want to take the plunge fairly soon. It will need to lift a TR6, a Quattro, GT6 or Excel, ideally to about a metre off the deck

P1010190.thumb.JPG.4cb95b67d3ba3e5f591ad7f26047d6f5.JPGAlso the weight transference through extended arms like that means the "foot" pressure of each of the individual arms would require VERY good quality concrete, much higher than a standard build garage floor.

If you want to lift a metre (high enough to get under comfortably but low enough to work with a standard garage roof height) AND get around the garage floor spot loading as mentioned above go for a scissor lift, and preferably one which runs inside it's own "cassette". Like this...the two ramps are joined together with a large dia tube at each end (you can see) but a bit of home handyman wood work can build a wooden platform between so the rolling set here can travers it, NO lifting on the platform though. This is a Strongman Clifton lift (3000 kg capacity) and I bought it used (it was a hire firm snatch back, condition said it only had minor hours usage) off e bay for £500 as shown without a hydraulic controller but I bought that separately again off e bay for £240 and then it's good to go.

The ramps can lay on the floor surface and there are hinged ramps available to allow a car to drive over it, HOWEVER the excellent 820mm gap between the ramps (which are 500mm wide each) means a TR or Stag needs a crossmember across the ramps at the front to place a rubber block on to lift off. The Stag just can be lifted at the rear with a rubber block under the trailing arm frame points, but the moving crossmember at the front allows full access down the centre. There is another scissor lift from Strongman called the Tamar which uses a single centre mounted hydraulic ram which tends to clog up the access down the centre but is popular with a few TR owners. Also it has a rolling frame which runs up the centre of the car space using steel rollers onto the floor which would rip my plastic tiles.

Oh...and having about a 100mm high ramp sticking outside your car by about 300mm down each side is a serious trip hazard, (got the bruises to prove it) which encouraged me to have my builder cut a square into the garage floor (about £150) and provide another 120mm of concrete below it for the cassettes to sit on so the ramps are flush.

Mick Richards 

P1010199.thumb.JPG.73837da6338b3ed614e45782b021db8a.JPG

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Mick

Congrats on that, it looks seriously good and if my sums are correct at about 900 quids worth is an absolute bargain, unless of course there was more floor work involved.

I looked at various options lift wise but it always seemed to pricey for me or compromised in terms of cross bars as you say, but i obvs didn't find the right SH unit or think outside the box well enough.

I even looked at a QuickJack but as i have an MG ZTT i needed the bigger one (weight) and at the thick end of 1500 quid to lift something only a bit higher than a axle stand i thought i persevere with those and a crawler.

This would have been a much better solution.:(

Cheers Keith

Is the 5000 quick jack any good for you?  If you have (or know) a Costco cardholder they are being advertised for a little less on their website, and were a bit cheaper when i was last in-store.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Automotive/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/QuickJack-Portable-Automatic-Car-Lift-System-Jack-2268kg-Capacity-Model-BL-5000SLX/p/1268102

....... Andy 

Edited by AndyR100

Hi Andy

Thats the one i looked at as although the smaller on is fine for a TR i couldn't see the point in buying a lift that couldn't lift my Ztt daily driver.

But they are still a bit of a pain, both in lift height and storage but are a good flexible solution if you've got the prospect of alot of regular lifting.

Trouble is i've done most of my underneath stuff now and am just trying to start for the first time so not the same need.

But i do like Mick's setup and would do that just cuz it nice.:)

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

yes, I agree that Mick’s setup is very good (and elegantly installed in the floor) - if I had a free-rein I’d go that way with the full-height version - albeit if only I had the height available! :)

....... Andy 

Edited by AndyR100

Andy

Snap, but with only a std integral garage i'm also limited.

But thinking about a solution.

Cheers Keith