Interesting 4 cylinder Inlet manifold Ebay.

As it has the lug at the front to attach the bell-crank when using the early H6 (long) carbs it looks like it may be one of the SAH manifolds made for a TR3 and pre-empting the later TR4  long manifold used with Strombergs and HS6 SUs

sah.jpg

I'm guessing SAH. Attached is what is on my car. When I bought it, 47 years ago, it also had an SAH head and tele shocks at the rear.

20190820_173427.jpg

My car had exactly that manifold on it when purchased in 1971. I sold it along with an engine & lots of other parts to the TR shop in 2013.

I agree most probably SAH.

Bob.

Wow, I’m surprised that would have come out of the SAH stable, the balance tube looks like a huge after-thought!  

...... Andy 

9 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Wow, I’m surprised that would have come out of the SAH stable, the balance tube looks like a huge after-thought!  

...... Andy 

Yes Andy I agree that does not look great for SAH as they had a good reputation for 'performance' items in the good old days of Triumph!

Dick - the method of attachment of the balance pipe to each of your inlet manifolds is puzzling.

The one on eBay appears to be permanently connected, but how?

Yours has a screw at the front and a stud at the rear - is this to permit the balance pipe to be disconnected prior to removing each inlet manifold from the head?

If so, how is the balance pipe sealed to each of the inlet manifolds?

Although I was living near Surbiton in the 1960s (when I had a TR2) and I visited Derrington on a few occasions, I don't have any of his catalogues.  Like Drewmotty, I do have the SAH catalogue which he shows.

Triumph had not attempted to improve the performance of the Works' TR3A Rally cars, but SAH and Derrington had made considerable improvements to performance in the 1950s.  Hence, for the Works' TR4 Rally cars in 1962, there was a desperate need to catch up with the performance of the Porsche Carrera, Healey 3000 and MGA.  Under Graham Robson (Competition Secretary) the first upgrades applied to the Works' TR4s were from SAH: 4-branch exhaust, inlet manifold, head etc.

My car has these SAH parts, but its SAH inlet manifold may be from about 1967, and it has the balance pipe as an integral part of the unit - not an afterthought!

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

The screws that you refer to are just blocking up holes that had been used for vacuum gauge tappings. The balance pipe is fixed.

Regards,

Dick.

I have a derrington inlet whilst it has a good sharp internal split to each port the aperture to the head is too big. It’s 42mm. 

The tr inlet is 34mm

the inlet on the head is 38mm

so it would take som porting to get a smooth flow as can be seen when I offered it up and you can see the lip ( and the clean valve guides that could have been shortened a little ?!)

D621422E-9C3A-4842-B9B6-5AEBA8F9B3AB.jpeg

3DC9B148-A277-41F0-A699-CCE2400A67DE.jpeg

91ED6C30-E3AD-430A-8B80-890036D64743.jpeg

44D7CCCB-16AA-4144-A83A-0CF9E06E4777.jpeg

ADE35CCF-F8F8-461B-B5C4-91BD477F612D.jpeg

JJC - how is the balance pipe fixed to each of the inlet pairs?  It doesn't look as if the inlet set-up was cast in one.

SAH took a different approach and, looking at mine, it's a single casting for the two pairs of inlets and the balance pipe.

Ian Cornish

How does the throttle linkage fit to the derrington. As mine doesn’t have the extra casting and hole for the throttle pivot.