TR2 long door overheating

PROBLEM SOLVED -  After methodically  working through everyones suggestion starting with engine / radiator flush, clearing engine block drain tap, thermostat check, check timing and adjusting mixture, re torque head and finally introduction of 8mm restrictor to the bypass hose (free from local plumbers merchants see photo) completed 30 mile run down the motorway this morning at constant 55mph (still gradually building up engine revs after rebuild) and temperature stayed at the quarter mark only moving up once engine was off and stationary then immediately dropping as soon as the engine was started

If anything running a little cool but I’m not complaining 

Thanks to everyone who contributed and I can now look forward to car show tomorrow, Oulton Park Gold Cup Monday and next weeks trip to Bo’ness. With some luck all hopefully trouble free 

Very satisfied and happy forum user 

May be back later as now need to look at wiper motor which packed in after heavy rain on the way to international weekend last Friday 

Jonathan 

D6D39E78-7729-41BB-9E0D-546ECC84993C.jpeg

Well done Jonathan. 

What is the plumbers part that I presume you drilled out  ?

Hi H. 

I have no idea.

I took the top hose to local plumbers merchants and asked for  something that would fit tight into the hose and they has a look at the brass / plastic pipe fittings and produced this plastic end cap (22mm diameter) and a few brass caps.

Gone for the plastic cap as much easier to work with and wont corrode plus fits tight between the top hose bend and the thermostat cap so shouldn't move 

Had to cut off about an inch and drill 8mm hole

Results combined with other suggestions off forum so far appears to have done the trick. It's been well worth the effort working through items  one at at time as each has made a contribution reducing temperature  and ended up with cooling system working better than anticipated

Well done the forum 

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Smith said:

Hi H. 

I have no idea.

I took the top hose to local plumbers merchants and asked for  something that would fit tight into the hose and they has a look at the brass / plastic pipe fittings and produced this plastic end cap (22mm diameter) and a few brass caps.

Gone for the plastic cap as much easier to work with and wont corrode plus fits tight between the top hose bend and the thermostat cap so shouldn't move 

Had to cut off about an inch and drill 8mm hole

Results combined with other suggestions off forum so far appears to have done the trick. It's been well worth the effort working through items  one at at time as each has made a contribution reducing temperature  and ended up with cooling system working better than anticipated

Well done the forum 

Result!

Now get out there and do some miles now you feel more confident that the engine will not overheat.  Take a gallon of water though....just in case.  It fits neatly behind the driver's seat.

Cheers

Peter W

Well done Jonathan. And thanks for the feedback. 

Oulton tomorrow for me. 

Have a look at Hamish's topic "Water flow restrictor - jobs you shouldn't start"!  You wouldn't want that fitting sliding all the way to the bottom of the radiator!

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
Corrected name of Hamish's topic
21 minutes ago, ianc said:

Have a look at Hamish's topic "Water flow restrictor - jobs you shouldn't start"!  You wouldn't want that fitting sliding all the way to the bottom of the radiator!

Ian Cornish

If the thing is the same od  as the bypass hose Id.  Where can it go to? Up the hose and bump into the thermo hsg outlet spigot or downwards and bump into the water pump hsg bypass outlet spigot.  

Works for me.

Peter W