Flexible Steering Coupling

Just an endorsement for the forum and valuable input from so many folks with experience who thankfully participate. 

I just replaced the flexible steering coupling on my 6. It took a couple of hours thanks to the tips I found in these pages. After removing the old one - reasonably straight forward I clamped the new coupling with a 50-70 mm jubilee clip and tightened it almost to destruction. This compressed it sufficiently to align the mounting holes. Then with front wheels off the deck, I was able to get each socket head screw started in the respective brackets. By just engaging the first couple of threads into the lower bracket the coupling is free to tilt to favourably align with the upper. Once you have the bolts located into the upper bracket you can then just turn the steering wheel to provide access for final tightening. 

I cut an Allen key (actually 5.5mm) short enough to engage into a 1/4" drive socket with enough protruding to engage the socket head screw (see pic). Using a small ratchet wrench on the socket it was easy and quick to tighten the socket screws, which otherwise are a bit of a pain having big fingers, poor access and an Allen key. Don't forget the locking wire, and as others have highlighted - be carefully to retain orientation of the steering wheel - it isn't all that difficult to get it 180 degrees out, and rotate the column to achieve the best screw to bracket alignment and access.

Thanks to all for the previous forum input. Incidentally the old one was fitted in 2005 and has done 24000 miles, so can't complain. Will keep a check on the new one and hope that it performs to the same level.

TonyC

IMG_2585.JPG