TR6 Hood Cover

Hi, 

I’m relatively new to the TR World so please excuse me if this seems a daft question. 

I’m considering buying a hood cover for my 1973 TR6. Can you advise me if they are easy to fit, where you would recommend I look for a cover, and finally is there a link anywhere for fitting instructions? 

Thanks 

Edited by Fearlessfozz
Spelling mistake

Hi Fozz,

Numerous suppliers,Moss, Rimmers, etc

You need to decide if you want Vinyl ( few options available ) or Mohair, the vinyl is more practical in my opinion but the Mohair smarter, guess it depends on what hood you have.

When you order get a tool to attach the poppers to the cover.

Centralise the cover on the car and mark the location of the middle popper with some chalk. Fit the popper on the hood cover and then the hood cover to the car ( attach with the popper) mark the two adjacent positions and repeat the process- popper to cover, cover to car. Repeat working from the centre outward by doing this you will be able to accurately mark the location of the poppers in respect of the receiving studs on the car as they may not be equally spaced.

Good luck Phil.

TR6 Cover.jpg

Edited by Phil H 4

Find the centre (as stated above is priority) folding the cover in half will be useful to find the centre.  A quality product may well have the centre marked on it discretely by the maker. Check and double check.

I have found a chinagraph pencil indispensable for marking popper positions on trim and weather equipment.

Do not make any holes until you are sure the thing will fit your car - If in doubt do some measuring of the car and the cover prior to any attempt to fit.

Peter W

On 8/23/2019 at 11:36 AM, len1 said:

Agree with Sean,  Don trimming , great quality and fit.

Len

Thanks for your input guys, I'll decide on a mohair cover as its the material the hood is made from and try to get a colour match.

Cheers - Enjoy a sunny bank holiday in your TR's

Edited by Fearlessfozz

I had a hood and a cover custom made by Don hoods last year. Everybody keeps coming up to me and saying how good it looks. The quality is much better than Rimmers or Moss. The gussets are much larger hence no rain coming in on the top rear of the windows. Please note my mohair is not so foldable as a plastic thing. Inspite of that, I would go down this road again. It was worth the drive from Germany.

IMG_4499.jpg

Edited by Peter Douglas Winn
Attachment

At the weekend I was at the Sound of Speed at the Salzburgring. A mni Goodwood, run in Austria by the German ADAC (RAC). My friend was racing his TR2 and keeping up well with the MGBGTs' with 300 hp. There were lots of various cars including ERA, XK120 Allu body, Ferrari 250 GT, BMW 319 (1935), Maserati TI SCM (1933) and and.

2 hours ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

I had a hood and a cover custom made by Don hoods last year. Everybody keeps coming up to me and saying how good it looks. The quality is much better than Rimmers or Moss. The gussets are much larger hence no rain coming in on the top rear of the windows. Please note my mohair is not so foldable as a plastic thing. Inspite of that, I would go down this road again. It was worth the drive from Germany.

IMG_4499.jpg

Now that's a novel radio aerial, couldn't you fit it maybe to the rear of the car ?

Mick Richards

Yes, as you see it belongs to the hotel owner, he sells this Type of beer he would not give it to me.  My real aerial is an active one., on the windscreen, fantastic reception and no holes to rust. (Bosch)

You seem to have a stud missing? Anyhow that's what my cover looks like with the centre stitching, and people often comment on the good fit of my roof, so perhaps a Don Hoods has been fitted to mine by a previous owner? 

Gareth

IMG_20190818_183854_254.thumb.jpg.9af8d59682835611f9bb23faaef290d9.jpg

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
Correction