Hi

i bought a bonnet rubber- for the rear, ie on the bulkhead by the bottom of the windscreen. 

A 2 minute job to put it on, but now my (newly painted) bonnet won’t close. 

Anyone else have this problem?

The rubber seal was from Moss. Are there maybe thinner ones I should look for? It seems more of an issue in the centre, near the battery, than at the sides. Without the rubber, the bonnet fits well  

Thanks

mark

8 hours ago, stuart said:

Thats a usual one, do you have it fitted the right way round?

Stuart.

I tried it both ways Stuart. Am I right in thinking it points towards the rear?

Either way, the bonnet doesn’t shut. Are you aware of any different profiles/ smaller rubbers? It seems to be too high in the middle  

Thanks

Facing rearwards is the way, it maybe that the channel lip is too high in the middle, I have had to "alter" them occasionally with a piece of wood cut to fit in the channel and a rubber hammer, are you sure the bonnet profile is the same as the bulkhead profile right across as I have also had to bend the rear of bonnets to get them to suit the deck profile.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Facing rearwards is the way, it maybe that the channel lip is too high in the middle, I have had to "alter" them occasionally with a piece of wood cut to fit in the channel and a rubber hammer, are you sure the bonnet profile is the same as the bulkhead profile right across as I have also had to bend the rear of bonnets to get them to suit the deck profile.

Stuart.

Apologies for hijacking this post.

Stuart what's the best way of bending the rear corners down one of mine is slightly proud.

Thanks Andy 

17 hours ago, PodOne said:

Apologies for hijacking this post.

Stuart what's the best way of bending the rear corners down one of mine is slightly proud.

Thanks Andy 

Same way but needs two of you really, piece of wood shaped to fit in the channel in front of the vent flap but a couple of inches higher than the deck and one person holding one side and the other pushing down at the side that needs bending down, its a regular thing with bonnet swops.

Stuart.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Pretty much. 

There is not a lot in it. Without the rubber, the bonnet fits fine. Perhaps, on close inspection, the middle could be marginally higher, whilst the edges are in line, but there’s not a lot wrong when minus the seal. But the thickness of the rubber is enough to keep it proud in the middle. I might try your block of wood trick, although the car is painted now so I’m a bit reticent. 

I did offer up an off cut from the boot runner (I.e. round tube on top) and that was better - it allowed the bonnet to get a bit lower. Although I think I’d still need to lengthen the bonnet catch in order to latch. 

Regards

Mark