TR 6 brakes and servo upgrade.

An interesting article in TR action regarding upspecking the brake callipers with Toyota units. Plenty of information including part numbers. But for those wishing to buy these items another bit of information would be very helpful, Which cars were these callipers fitted to ? Many dealers on line ask for this information and the part numbers will not get you to the buying stage. Any information to help those who wish to do this would help. My own standard system is more than adequate for the driving I do. The only mod I want to do is a more powerful servo I fitted a larger unit on my TR4 with very good results and would like a similar pedal loading on the 6.Any options for this combined cylinder and servo installation ?

I have had Toyo calipers and vented rotors for 15+ years, the bigger issue is finding good pads.  Currently I am running custom pads with KFP gold material which matches the material on the rear brakes (GoodParts disc brake kit).  The best part of my brake upgrade was the GoodParts dual master cylinder.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, trerynn said:

An interesting article in TR action regarding upspecking the brake callipers with Toyota units. Plenty of information including part numbers. But for those wishing to buy these items another bit of information would be very helpful, Which cars were these callipers fitted to ? Many dealers on line ask for this information and the part numbers will not get you to the buying stage. Any information to help those who wish to do this would help. My own standard system is more than adequate for the driving I do. The only mod I want to do is a more powerful servo I fitted a larger unit on my TR4 with very good results and would like a similar pedal loading on the 6.Any options for this combined cylinder and servo installation ?

I think one of the German guys use a Volvo servo.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

yes.

And another German member on this forum recently ordered one in the Netherlands, including the 2 new break pipes. Around 300 euro including shipping. I have not installed one of those (yet), so cannot comment on any issues or  if it is a big improvement.

Waldi

I invented both the vented disc for front with spaced calipers

and the double diaphragm 9" Volvo booster.

The vented disc does not reduce pedal forces it is for not fading

that quickly happened before. Depends on the way to drive if needed at all.

Reducing power here is not recommened because with bigger calipers needed for that you will

change brake bias and rear will brake not that much it could brake for giving an overall shortest stopping way.

DSCF5012.thumb.JPG.5ed9dce00e71568808d88675d9ea1a79.JPG

The brake booster is for reducing pedal forces and is from Volvo 242 if I remember correctly.

Master cylinder fits right out of the box but brake piping will be too short because the booster is longer.

At the bulkhead the bolt pattern is different.

Unfortunately the booster is a little bit bigger and interfears with the clutch master.

I made an extension to put the clutch master forward because it is only the reservoir

meeting the biggest diametre of the booster.

Other solutions make new bolt positions and move the whole booster inwards that the bulkhead holes

can be used and the clutch master must not be touched.

Brake forces are now lady like, all are happy. I use that for about two years

both vented discs and the booster.

Edited by TriumphV8
23 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

I invented both the vented disc for front with spaced calipers

and the double diaphragm 9" Volvo booster.

The vented disc does not reduce pedal forces it is for not fading

that quickly happened before. Depends on the way to drive if needed at all.

Reducing power here is not recommened because with bigger calipers needed for that you will

change brake bias and rear will brake not that much it could brake for giving an overall shortest stopping way.

DSCF5012.thumb.JPG.5ed9dce00e71568808d88675d9ea1a79.JPG

The brake booster is for reducing pedal forces and is from Volvo 242 if I remember correctly.

Master cylinder fits right out of the box but brake piping will be too short because the booster is longer.

At the bulkhead the bolt pattern is different.

Unfortunately the booster is a little bit bigger and interfears with the clutch master.

I made an extension to put the clutch master forward because it is only the reservoir

meeting the biggest diametre of the booster.

Other solutions make new bolt positions and move the whole booster inwards that the bulkhead holes

can be used and the clutch master must not be touched.

Brake forces are now lady like, all are happy. I use that for about two years

both vented discs and the booster.

Right hand drive wouldnt have that problem with the clutch master as its fitted to the top of the footwell not the front as in left hand drive.

I always remind people about increasing the brake caliper size on the front will alter the brake bias but most ignore me. The problem can arise under hard braking where you get a front wheel skid which means you have no steering capabilities.

Stuart.

I will do my very best.......

Bremse1.jpg.7b8c7cd8105e99957bd55ff2fd1f1900.jpg

Bremse2.jpg.62ae7096b5fe2f192aa33ae25e7febab.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot from what Volvo because I bought two used ones

and although the breaker told me I forgot through the years.

Take a look at Ebay and watch for the belt in the middle not too big

and the typical clean front towards the master..... It is 9" double diaphragmn.

Here, the difference in size can be seen very well and to make use of the changes around the original cut-out in the bulkhead and to correct the offset on the actuating rod.  Please note that this conversion is designed for LHD vehicles.  I do not know which vehicle the brake booster comes from.  The contact details of the provider I can provide, if desired.  Since the installation is not yet complete, I can not give a review.

Cheers

Harald

IMG_20190828_093245.jpg

Edited by Harald
3 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

I have one of those parked outside, its my shed!

Stuart.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, trerynn said:

My own standard system is more than adequate for the driving I do. The only mod I want to do is a more powerful servo I fitted a larger unit on my TR4 with very good results and would like a similar pedal loading on the 6.

Being a simple fella,  might I ask if just extending the brake pedal lever might not be easier ? 

I'd guess 1- 1.5" (25 - 40mm) longer would increase the leverage by a useful percentage ..and be very inexpensive to do. 

Pete

20 hours ago, Bfg said:

Being a simple fella,  might I ask if just extending the brake pedal lever might not be easier ? 

I'd guess 1- 1.5" (25 - 40mm) longer would increase the leverage by a useful percentage ..and be very inexpensive to do. 

Pete

The pedal feeling is a mix of force and travel way.

If you extend the lever the travel increases and the pedal feels like air in the brake.

The same will happen if you reduce the diametre of the master cylinder or increase

the diametre of the wheel cylinders.

The booster is a good way to use big master for short travel and have force added

to reduce the required force pressing the lever down.