so , just doing final checks before our trip tomorrow to IWE and the not very old radiator cap decides to fall apart in my hand, so only option is use my Stag one even though its rated 20lbs.  Can anyone confirm this will be ok , pretty sure it will but another opinion would be nice  :lol:

Len

Hi Len ~

I think you'll be OK with the Stag rad. cap. Using a higher pressure cap raises the boiling point of the cooling water.

Make sure the spring lengths are the same.

I use a 13 psi. cap on my 3A with no ill effects. I believe the 'normal' cap pressure is 4 psi.

Regards ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Len,

When your hoses are in good condition I would not be concerned. But replace it by the 13 lbs (not the 7lbs) cap once you have that.

Does it have the same internal spring loaded valve a std TR6 cap has? A normal cap does not have that, so water cannot overflow.

Have a nice IWE.

Waldi

Hi Len ~

If you have a closed circuit cooling system fitted then the radiator should be fitted with a plain (non-pressurised) cap and the overflow tank fitted with a pressurised cap..

Both my 3A and 'E'-type are fitted with this system with no problems.

Tom.