New Tr4 owner

Rob

From the piccies it looks like nothing too scary.

The front valance is very typical... I've bashed out (  a technical term for Bodyshop hammer and dolly work ! )  a few of those , front and back valances  mine and a mate's. It seems that the American style of car parking is to blame / assists damage in a number cases. Bumper irons pushed back /  bent are often in evidence.

Photograph everything / label it / draw diagrams of how it was fitted /get out the WD40 and Plusgas for the precious bits , soaking  the fittings / it helps to clean , partially reassemble units off the car / note parts missing or in need of replacement for your shopping list.

Bob

Yes, photograph everything as you dismantle is a very good practice. If the rocker shaft is in place there's the possibility of valve spring compression over many years in the same position.I bet you are keen to get the engine running ASAP (rather than sitting in and making 'brmm, brmm' noises, but should a collet come off a valve and drop it down the pot - it could make a bit of a mess. Head rebuild kit including valves, springs, valve guide etc is not too expensive. TR valve springs are pretty tough - and I've not heard of the problem with these engines - but have seen it at first hand on an MG midget - wrecked  entire engine.

FWIW You can tell a genuine Californian car as they have an extra plate on the left hand footwell top section with STC and a date 1962 or whatever

Stuart.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, Rob W said:

Hello all,  I have finally realised a dream and bought a 1962 Tr4,  it's a Californian LHD car,  really solid base to start a restoration project from.  I look forward to picking all your brains in the forthcoming months

Rob, just noticed there's a pair of air cleaners on page 2 of classified ads, TR3A, but same as originally fitted to US 4's and 4A's.