New Tr4 owner

Congrats Rob, 6 years ago I took delivery of my 63 TR4 from California. It has been a labour of love and I have thoroughly enjoyed the restoration and have received lots of advice and support from the chaps on this forum. I left mine as LHD to keep it original, but that was my preference and I am comfortable driving a left hooker on our roads.

Bob

Well done Rob. Rescuing any TR is a worthwhile endeavour.

but you do  have the added complication of wind up windows to contend with. :ph34r:

Consider joining the club. Not only does it open up this forum fully but also allows you to access a great technical library of info on the club site and I think you still get a cd of technical articles.

get down to your local group meetings to meet up with other like minded folk and may be willing and knowledgeable extra pairs of hands for the bigger jobs.

good luck and enjoy

H

With a TR4 and its handbrake on the right side it could be interesting to keep it LHD.

Notable about our TRs is, when ever I meet US folks they are full of laud for my TR4A,

always there was one in the family or neighborhood, a desirable dream car with lovely memories.

But indeed most of them at Germany are reimports from the US.

Mine too (1992), not possible to find out where it was located.

13 hours ago, Ransomes256 said:

Rob,

I am also in Bridgend, South Wales (South Glamorgan Group) and I have a USA converted to RHD 1962 TR4 if you need help or a reference.

Neil

Neil, that's great to know, I'm not far up the road in Pontypool, so once it's delivered and I've got my resto plan together in may well give you a shout.   Thanks 

Welcome! Mines a '67 4A (solid axle) from Arizona (allegedly), was re- imported as a parts donor - but was felt too good to break. Off road since 2004, now a rolling restoration. 

'I'm told it hasn't moved since 1974 so should be interesting' .......you said it! Good luck, and keep us all posted with photo's and updates. The guys on here are very knowledgeable and amazingly helpful :D You've definitely come to the right place!   

Car was delivered today and have had a really good look around it, I'm amazed just how solid it is,  the bonnet needs some work and the nearside outer sill and lower front valance needs replacing but that's about it, really happy with it! Can't wait to get started 

Edited by Rob W
Adding photo

Hi Rob Welcome to the Forum. There are a number of us on the Forum .....owners of Left Hookers / USA import. I keep a couple of the loose coins ( $ ) I found in the car , in my glove box as good luck charms.

Someone has always done it before , so keep the questions coming. Mention all the facts you've observed as it will help with the diagnosis .Have a clear idea in your head as to what the finished article is going to look like. That way you won't waste time and money going down cul de sacs. Listen to the advice but make you own decision .Your car , your ultimate decision.

Good luck and have fun doing it.

Bob  TR4 , New White ,1965  LHD , imported to UK 1995

Hi all you new TR4 owners ! Welcome to  the forum and don't be afraid to use it and ask lots of questions, and post lots of pics

I have several TRs to restore and a fully restored TR4 on the road, all RHD, which I've owned for many years, so have been collecting lots of parts and info on where to find the best bits at the best prices.

There aren't many parts, large or small, I haven't got, so please feel free to PM me and I'm sure I can help and save you some money at the same time.

Cheers

Rich

Rob, as a US Tr4a owner, it’s important to know (if possible) where in the US the car spent its life. If it was from the west coast or southwest, then rust issues should be minimal. However if it’s from the southeast (high humidity) or northeast (“rust belt”:o), then I would have the frame checked carefully for rust damage. I lucked out with the car I have, but another one I looked at had a frame like tissue paper! Otherwise, good luck with it, and welcome to the forum (these folks are the best)!

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

When I picked up my re-import left-hooker I was told that although it had an Arizona log book it was a duplicate as original had been lost, apparently it's common for a wet-state car to loose their log books and regain them from a dry state. The previous owner spent a fortune on major chassis welding and I have had to work hard on many rotten body panels. Still love this car to bits though! :rolleyes:

To all you new forumites, I just realised that you may not know what "send me a PM" means! I didn't when I first joined!!

It means send me a personal message which won't show on the general forum so we can exchange contact details etc.

You can do this by clicking on the purple circle with an R in it to the left of my post and that will open up a page about me and you will see a box which says "Message" - click on that and you can write a message.

In terms of you receiving a message, there is an icon of an envelope in the top right hand corner of every forum post page - this is your own mailbox - if it has a little red flag attached to it, it means you have a new unread message - to open your mailbox, simply click on it - you will find options in there whereby you can set up an email alert whenever you get a new message.

Hope this helps

cheers Rich

PS to Forum Admin - would it not be a good idea for all new forumites to receive a simple introduction detailing how this all works because I don't think that happens judging by the number of PMs I've sent to new members which are never opened!! ( If I believe the website!)