Classic to a modern

Hi,  every time I go out in the modern I am always putting the wipers on,  instead of the indicators, drives me mad

Classic cars indicators on the right, moders indicators on the left,

Any one else have this problem 

Pink, or is it just me being a numpty 

Hi Pinky,

you are not just numpty - you are Pinky numpty.

On the TR4A you can move the indicators and light switch around (I think)

However I like it as a challenge. come the day I can;t remember which is what I shall pack it all in.

Roger

If you think that is a problem .....

My 1930 M type has a gearbox where 1st/2nd gears are on the right of the gate and 3rd/4th are on the left. 

Hey

i have the opposite problem. 

I reach for the Center of my steering wheel on my Audi to operate the indicators. 

Not the same as my 3a !!

8 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Thought that was BMW's

It’s true. 

apparently BMW have given up trying to fix them under warranty as owners didn’t know what they were for. 

When I had a TR7V8, I swapped the stalks as I considered it dangerous having the indicators on the right - it required some cutting of the loom, and re-connection.

Ian Cornish

Yes, we all do it Pink.

When I first installed a column mounted indicator stalk in the 3A, it was on the right ('the English way'). But as I kept flicking thin air with my left hand I relented and installed it on the l/hand side. Good move.

Miles

IMG_7057.JPG

Edited by MilesA

Both our moderns are converted to have the indicator on the right hand side. My Nearest And Dearest's new(ish) Japanese Suzuki was easily converted to be like her old one, as the Japanese also drive on the correct side of the road and it was simply a matter of unbolt, swap, bolt up. My Volvo required a bit of filing as the so-and-so's had gone out of their way to stop people like me from rectifying their error. No wonder people in Japan drive Japanese cars - the rest of the world don't know to put the indicators on the right!

Cheers, Richard

5 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Do you expect the light switch to be sighted identically on all cars, likewise the radio controls, heater controls....?

That would make an awful lot of sense Andy. Most cars are ergonomic nightmares - particularly the newer ones where some moron has decided the function you need is two layers deep on a touch-screen menu.  Touch screens should be banned from cars as the user has to take their eyes off the road to operate them. Just as bad as texting IMHO.

44 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Do you expect the light switch to be sighted identically on all cars, likewise the radio controls, heater controls....?

Andy

Personally. I think there is a difference between the indicator stalk and others switches. The indicator stalk is used constantly unlike most other switches. For those of us swapping regularly between vehicles where it is on different sides, its just easier to have it in the same location rather than intermittently flicking thin air or the wipers! Willing to acknowledge it may be an age thing and I admire Roger's age-defying attitude.

Miles

I've driven the 6 more than any other motor, ca 250k miles. Its like wearing old shoes, they fit better than new. Its getting in an out of the 6 where I notice the difference with the 4x4s. .....embarassing.

Peter

On 8/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Pinky,

you are not just numpty - you are Pinky numpty.

On the TR4A you can move the indicators and light switch around (I think)

However I like it as a challenge. come the day I can;t remember which is what I shall pack it all in.

Roger

I’ve done this on Eric ages ago on the rebuild. Iirc I needed a LHD light switch but it’s an easy job.