front suspension overhaul: bump stop question

In order to dismantle the front suspension the shock absorber needs removal. Before doing that the bump stop needs to be removed. Can this safely be done while coil and shock absorber are in place? (I have a spring compressor ready for use after the shock absorber is removed).

From this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7js8y9rMXzk&feature=player_embedded  ) it is not entirely clear how that is being done.

You can remove the bump stops and brackets while the car is still on the ground before you Jack it up or take the weight with a jack under the hub or trunnion if you already have the wheels off. 

Edited by Drewmotty
13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Erik,

the spring should be safe whilst the spring pan is in place.

Use the spring compressor when undoing the spring pan nuts/studs/bolts

Roger

Hi Roger, I understand that, and am happy to have the compressor from Z320 (forum member).

At the moment my car is on a bridge with wheel, hub, brake disk and caliper removed. So now to remove the bump stop there is no other way then to lower the car until the suspension can rest on a jack meaning: crawling underneath to remove the stop and bracket. Uggh..