Windscreen Rubber Leak

Hi

Just been out for a nice drive and a pub lunch, on the way back we got caught in a massive downpour, roof up quickly, no problem. Then after a short while water was coming in on the drivers side lower corner and then dripping on my leg. Once home I checked the rubber around that corner and it seems loose and if I push from the inside it looks like the screen would push out, it appears the rubber has shrunk. Never been a problem before and the seal and trim looks original, the insert trim has shrunk by about 3/4” too.

What’s the best thing I could squirt in there for a temporary seal. I’d like to do something as it looks like it’s going to be pi$$ing down with rain all the way up to Stratford on Friday and if I don’t do anything I will end up with very wet legs.

I look forward to your replies.

Edited by Kevo_6

Not going to offer any help, only to say I'm in a similar situation, really not looking forward to the wet legs Friday too! 

Gareth

This is what you need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen-Sealer-Window-Sealant-Black-310ml-car-van/371592868637?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stuart.

P.S. Most windscreen fitters should have some at their works just make sure its not Sikaflex as thats for bonded screens and youll never get the rubber out again.

Edited by stuart

That corner of the frame is known for rusting, it's double skinned and often missed by waxoyling. Replacing the rubber might prove to be a bigger job than anticipated.

Peter

10 minutes ago, stuart said:

This is what you need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen-Sealer-Window-Sealant-Black-310ml-car-van/371592868637?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stuart.

P.S. Most windscreen fitters should have some at their works just make sure its not Sikaflex as thats for bonded screens and youll never get the rubber out again.

Thanks Stuart, is this something I could do without taking the screen out, if so would I need to do all around the screen, glass side and screen frame side.

5 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

That corner of the frame is known for rusting, it's double skinned and often missed by waxoyling. Replacing the rubber might prove to be a bigger job than anticipated.

Peter

Hi Peter, I’ve had a quick peep under the rubber and it looks surprisingly good in there but I’m not going to replace the rubber for a couple of months so I’ll wait for my big surprise then and possibly another can of worms.

48 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Thanks Stuart, is this something I could do without taking the screen out, if so would I need to do all around the screen, glass side and screen frame side.

Yes if you can beg borrow or steal a caulking gun like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caulking-Gun-Silicone-Sealant-Skeleton-Trigger-Rotating-Barrel-Cartridge-Sausage/132987163244?epid=9030286629&hash=item1ef6a7126c:m:mA0w7vEJKd98aUOwGx8Xxyg to apply it with then you just get the tip of the applicator in behind the rubber and with the help of a plastic spatula https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-FITTING-TOOL-PLASTIC-SPATULA-ROUND-END-AND-ROUND-END/113467447560?hash=item1a6b2fd908:g:qnIAAOSwVHpcGklG work your way right round squeezing it in as you go. Once youve finished then clean up with spirit wipe.

Stuart.

I can recommend highly something called Captain Tolley's crack cure - it certainly worked for me when I experienced the same wet leg problem.

Some years ago and when suffering the wet leg problem, I replaced the windscreen and rubber not for that reason but because the screen was a toughened glass screen and was probably original,  as under certain conditions (driving in the rain and dark), was becoming increasingly annoying because of surface imperfections.    While the screen was out, I could see the bodywork was in good condition.  Sadly, I still got a wet leg in the rain.  Basically, I lifted the rubber away from the outside of the screen and dripped the fluid down inside the rubber.  After  a little while, I could see some of it coming into the interior past the rubber seal - easy to see as it is light blue in colour.  When dry, it is clear and can't be seen.  I did this twice to be sure and have never had a problem since - and that was about 3 years ago.

Might work for you as well.

Pierre

Couldn’t agree more with Peter’s comments, I’ve looked to replace my windscreen rubber the other day, most of the rot was inside hidden behind the trim. The outside looked perfect. I’m now off the road until fixed up!

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Yes if you can beg borrow or steal a caulking gun like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caulking-Gun-Silicone-Sealant-Skeleton-Trigger-Rotating-Barrel-Cartridge-Sausage/132987163244?epid=9030286629&hash=item1ef6a7126c:m:mA0w7vEJKd98aUOwGx8Xxyg to apply it with then you just get the tip of the applicator in behind the rubber and with the help of a plastic spatula https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-FITTING-TOOL-PLASTIC-SPATULA-ROUND-END-AND-ROUND-END/113467447560?hash=item1a6b2fd908:g:qnIAAOSwVHpcGklG work your way right round squeezing it in as you go. Once youve finished then clean up with spirit wipe.

Stuart.

That’s brilliant, thanks Stuart. I have several caulking guns so I’ll see if I can track down some sealant from a local windscreen fitter.

2 hours ago, Alfrom said:

I can recommend highly something called Captain Tolley's crack cure - it certainly worked for me when I experienced the same wet leg problem.

Some years ago and when suffering the wet leg problem, I replaced the windscreen and rubber not for that reason but because the screen was a toughened glass screen and was probably original,  as under certain conditions (driving in the rain and dark), was becoming increasingly annoying because of surface imperfections.    While the screen was out, I could see the bodywork was in good condition.  Sadly, I still got a wet leg in the rain.  Basically, I lifted the rubber away from the outside of the screen and dripped the fluid down inside the rubber.  After  a little while, I could see some of it coming into the interior past the rubber seal - easy to see as it is light blue in colour.  When dry, it is clear and can't be seen.  I did this twice to be sure and have never had a problem since - and that was about 3 years ago.

Might work for you as well.

Pierre

Hi Pierre

I did read a thread in my searches this afternoon but I’m unlikely to get some by Thursday. You’ve just got to love the name though, captain tolley's creeping crack cure:lol:

4 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Pierre

I did read a thread in my searches this afternoon but I’m unlikely to get some by Thursday. You’ve just got to love the name though, captain tolley's creeping crack cure:lol:

Its a marine product so most of the big chandlers will have it Kevo

i’ve used it many times always with success, great product!

steve

1 minute ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Its a marine product so most of the big chandlers will have it Kevo

i’ve used it many times always with success, great product!

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks, there’s a few chandlers around here (Poole) if I struggle to find the stuff Stuart has recommended I pop into one of them and see if they have any.

2 hours ago, sheldricka said:

Here’s a picture...

574AAC20-7D60-4550-9AB8-609A9221DEB4.jpeg

ShelRick, Kev, That looks familiar. Luckily I had been hoarding a spare screen from a scrapper since 1980.  I'm not sure if repair sections are now available, But do recall a forumite spotting a washing machine door with the correct curvatures...or was it a tumble drier..happy hunting !

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
20 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi

Just been out for a nice drive and a pub lunch, on the way back we got caught in a massive downpour, roof up quickly, no problem. Then after a short while water was coming in on the drivers side lower corner and then dripping on my leg. Once home I checked the rubber around that corner and it seems loose and if I push from the inside it looks like the screen would push out, it appears the rubber has shrunk. Never been a problem before and the seal and trim looks original, the insert trim has shrunk by about 3/4” too.

What’s the best thing I could squirt in there for a temporary seal. I’d like to do something as it looks like it’s going to be pi$$ing down with rain all the way up to Stratford on Friday and if I don’t do anything I will end up with very wet legs.

I look forward to your replies.

Hi Kevo,

One other cause may be the rubber pipe  which takes the excess water from the plenum and drains it into the wing void. either perished or may have come off.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Dave from a hot sunny Spain