My wife was following me the other day whilst I was out in the 3 and she commented that my brake lights seem to 'come on at the last moment'  the 3 still has the switch in the brake line and I wondering if this is a 'feature' of the system or if there is an issue. If former is there any sort of upgrade to overcome this, if its the after assuming its a replacement ?

Hi Graham,

it may be that the caliper pistons are easy to move and start the braking process before too much pressure is built up - with the brake light pressure switch lagging behind .

It could be a sluggish  switch - they do fail with age.

Or you could fit a mechanical switch if it is possible.

Roger

Thanks guys just ordered a new mechanical one 

• 3 weeks later...

Graham is not alone. My (hydraulic) brake switch now only operates the lights when I press the brake pedal quite firmly. So I have a new switch ready to fit. It will be the THIRD in eight years.

This switch is widely used across the Triumph range and on MGB and others- one variety with lucar connectors and the early one with screw electrical connections. Enquiring at Moss I understood they had 60 plus in stock. Now you don't carry stock at that level unless there is a high turnover. So I have little faith that my shiny new switch, Pt No 13H2303, in its shiny Intermotor box will last any longer than its predecessors.

I like the look of Tom's mod. Perhaps next time.

Phil

The advantage afforded by the mechanical switch is that, if appropriately adjusted, it will operate the brake lights with very little movement of the brake pedal, hence giving early warning that the brakes are being applied.

Ian Cornish