REAR SPRING THICKNESS

I believe my long door TR2 has competition rear springs on it due to the very stiff ride. 

The manual says the springs are 30mm (1 1/14") thickness across the 6 leaves. The long door car measures around 34.5mm.

My other daily driver TR2 has new springs from Moss which measure a touch over 31mm.

Can anybody advise me if the thicker springs measure up as competition springs?

John

i may be wrong on the relevance to the TR2

but I thought the competition rear springs had the extra leaf semi curled round the leaf with the bush in it  

006DB639-9B93-44FB-B6BE-F7117A51697E.jpeg

Thanks Hamish. I have been told that the springs on my car may have been locally made to provide a stiffer spring for racing. The extra thickness of the spring is the cause of the harsh ride. 

I have a new set of Moss springs coming through our Register parts supplier. That should sort that problem out.

Competition leaf spring should have two leaves running the full length, as shown in Hamish's photo.  Then, if one of these leaves breaks, the spring will not collapse.

My TR2 had ordinary rear leaf springs and when the leaf broke on the right side, the car collapsed immediately onto its bump stop.  On the other hand, when Neil re-built 4VC for me, he reported that one leaf was broken, but I had not known as no collapse had occurred.

Ian Cornish

When the main leaf of my rear spring broke, nothing untoward happened, the only clue was an occasional load crack going over a speed bump which lead me to take the wheel off and have a look, glad I did. Not sure how long it was like that but would not fancy going too fast or too far like that. The leaf broke close to the centre so the clips held the spring block together. I had a local spring company make a pair of new main leaves and set the springs up to be the same.

Mick

New standard springs went in today. It now drives like a normal TR.