Home remedies for cleaning carbs

Hi guys 

I have just removed a set of triple webers. I bought them second hand 10 years ago from an etype. I rejected them but have today removed them from my tr6. 

They were running terribly and i reckon stale fuel etc. 

Someone suggested to boil them in lemon juice to clean them. 

Does this work? And what other remedies has anyone got to deep clean carbs inside and out? 

Thanks. 

Most carbs are made of a zinc aluminum alloy, and zinc is attacked by acids.  So acids can be used to remove the tiniest layer of the surface of the metal where the stains are.  It doesn't matter much what acid is used, as long as it isn't too strong, and the time is kept fairly short.  Lemon juice contains citric acid.  Vinegar would work, too.  So would dilute muriatic or phosphoric, both easy to get.  The heat just makes the reaction go faster.

Just monitor the process closely.  Let it go too far, and you can actually change critical dimensions.

Ed

Edited by ed_h