TR3a Bump Steer and steering geometry issues.

My Tr3a has always suffered from the dreaded bump steer and looking at the original steering geometry figures its not difficult to see why as I think this subject was not high on the 'to do list' sixty years ago. I have been looking at the Revington Geometry Kit so my question is have any members fitted one and does it improve bump steer  is it worth purchasing any advice you have would be received with thanks.

Staffs Man.

Hi

i have the revington kit fitted 

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr3314k/name/steering-geometry-imp-kit-tr2-3b

yet to fit the upper wishbone set up from the 4.

i had to do away with the disc back plate and use the revington smaller ball track rod end to clear the disc. 

As I was also trying to introduce some neg camber I fitted the moss vertical links at the same time

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/performance-tuning/steering-suspension/negative-camber-vertical-link-tr2-4.html

handles really well now. And still has the steering box etc

just in some pictures from “white dog photography” ( who takes pics for charity  donations)

that show very max roll within about 20-30m one extreme to the other ( this only doesn’t work if you leave the braking too late

D1A096EB-FB8C-4E59-85E9-1612E0B3F60B.jpeg

33C43DB4-7D60-4CE9-B35E-1579D1A18410.jpeg

9FADCE70-2CA7-4220-8C37-E101261BF72B.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pics

I fitted Revington kit as follows:

Longer outer tie rods, modified steering arms, new inner ball joints and track rod ends. New silent block bushes and modified steering idler on exchange. I also fitted the revised steering box top lid with the modified adjustment nut.

The whole package works well. No bump steer and a 'wandering' steering wheel while keeping the car straight ahead. The car also turns in better to corners without as much understeer.

Added advantage to replacing the whole system for Rack and Pinion is, you keep the original steering wheel,  horn and indicator - oh and it's cheaper and less work.

Go for it.

Rob

+1

Read this it has been covered before.

My pdf XL chart demonstrates the change of toe in during bump with standard steering arms vs Revington outward bent ones.

Cheers

Peter W

Bump Steer Sheet1.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
add XL sheet in pdf

I don't understand cars with original steering boxes having bump steer. R&P conversions are known for it but not original cars.

I have a daily driver TR2 owned for 43 years with no bump steer issues ever. I installed a Revington spring loaded box top and phosphor bronze bushes about 5 years ago with a total steering rebuild which improved the steering immensely.

My recently restored TR2 has standard steering and again no sign of bump steer.

• 1 year later...

Hi

its a 15inch flat moto lita 

I still have the steering box so the horn/indicator wiring is the same. But the PO fitted it all. 

7B060C17-6BDC-4F86-8D21-911FCD7E1423.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Mark247 said:

Thanks Hamish

Does the horn and indicators still work?

Yes very well. 

27 minutes ago, Mark247 said:

PO?

Previous owner