Headlamp plastic bowls

Hi can anyone tell me if the plastic headlamp bowls are worth buying as the metal ones always seem to rust. I did read somewhere ont net that the plastic bowls are not compatible with Tr6 which I thought was strange. Lastly will the Landrover plastic bowls which are not made by Wipac fit Tr6 as they do appear to be a Walbro make if memory serves me right I think. 

Thank you guys

Michael

Hi Michael. I don't know about your TR, but I fitted plastic bowls to my Spit. I don't recall the manufacturer, but they fitted without any problem. I cut of the backs so I could fit a large rubber blanking plug, which means I can change the bulbs in my Cibies without removing the whole lamp. Do you have access to the back of the bowl in a TR?

Cheers, Richard

No access to the rear - good idea - I'm going to be putting leds in my Cibies mind so access won't be a problem as they last longer than halogens. I was looking to see what other TR users have found out as I'm at the stage of either de rusting and painting existing  ones or buying the plastic ones if they are upto the task as someone said they don't fit but then why would Moss et all be selling them? Maybe I should ring Moss see what they say. Thanks for your reply. 

Michael

Thank you, OK not for purists but they do make sense as they will never need painting and no rust problem either, plus it would be easy to cut an access hole to be able to remove headlight bulb as said previously and blank it off with a suitably large rubber bung of some kind. Peter where did you get your plastic bowls from please? 

Thanks everyone I know what to do now. 

Michael