Replacing the speedo cable help...

In the past, a PO has installed a short speedo cable that runs internally across the cabin floor, then rises up the side of the g/box cover where is is secured with a P clip then vertically through the carpet just under the dash and round to the back of the speedo. From re search, I suspect it might be a L/hand drive rev counter cable.

Three irritations with this. First, the the handbrake gaiter cannot be secured flat to floor because it goes over the cable and so the rustproofing oil seeps through into the carpet. Second, the new gearbox cover carpet will have to butchered like the existing one. Thirdly, there is the (admittedly minor) risk of damaging the vertical cable in some way by catching it.

I understand the traditional route of the long cable. Question: Can it be installed in the back of the speedo without removing it from the dash? Having contorted myself (again) under the dash it looks as if I can get my had round the back of the speedo by removing the support bracket. Prefer not to remove the speedo because of the daisy chain of wiring for all the little gauge lamps and on the theory that least tinkered with, least chance of b*****ing up something else!

Anyone done this?

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Yes it's perfectly possible to do it that way, but fiddly and you are probably just as likely to derange something in the process. I found it easier to pull the speedo forwards a bit without undoing any wires, until I could see down the back.

Edited by RobH

Hi Miles,

the daisy chain is simple to remove and refit onto the speedo clamp.

Are you going to refit the correct drive cable in the correct place.

If you replace the HB gaiter be careful - on my TR4 the replacement was made of hard rubber from two parts and completely the wrong shape.

The TRShop offering was perfect.

Roger

Yes, Roger, intending to fit the correct cable in the correct place / route.

Bought the gaiter and other bits some time ago (it was the re-carpeting that has spurred me into action with the cable) so I will check them. 

Miles

I found that securing the speedo in place was difficult because of access to the round nuts at the back. It was very difficult to remove the support bracket.

good luck

Richard & B.

Richard

Oh, am I missing something? The support bracket removal looked like an easy task: undo / remove the two screws / bolts at either end and the larger bolt about 1/3 of the way along it.

Miles

• 2 weeks later...