What a TR3a can and can’t do !

My 5th event this year in the clubs sprint and hillclimb championship 

Another video of my sprint runs at the tight technical 3 Sisters circuit near Wigan.

Got captions a bit wrong but you can get the feel for it. 

Lots of runs as it was such a low turnout for the event. It needs more support as it’s great fun at this venue.

One run just under 10 seconds longer - a lot on a 57s run - see why !!!!

I am currently sitting 5th overall and 2nd in class very proud of the 60 year old car :D doing well despite its ham fisted driver. The fuelling issues also appear to be a thing of the past. 

hopefully out again for my last event at  curborough on 18.8.19 so have a TR run out and say hello to us all, it’s normally well attended and a track with very good viewing.

H

Edited by Hamish

That is quite impressive Hamish.  I think your TR is quite happy doing what it was built for.  That engine sounds so smooth and strong.  How did you get rid of wind noise on the video?  Is the microphone positioned at the rear bumper with a fuzzy thing?  

Cheers

Dan    

Engine aside, confident my gearbox would not change so smoothly or as quickly - more of a two clunk process for each change!

Random question - what is the small dial to the right of the rev counter that is so active?

Keep them coming!

Miles

Thanks guys. 

It was a good day. Yes that gauge on the right is a vacuum gauge and been on the car for 40+ years I think. 

No wind noise as the microphone is taped to the rear bumper bracket just by the exhaust but without a wind sponge the measured 93dB (scrutineering) is the single box Phoenix SS system.

the gearbox is a tr6 box with A type overdrive and logic box  that I hammered in 2nd and 2nd od only getting into 3rd down the last back straight.  It was rebuilt last autumn with uprated ? OD clutch and added pressure for the quick OD change. All this through a diaphragm clutch with the 3a flywheel drilled to take this. 

But it’s not a massive amount of power. I’m up against tr4’s with loads more power 140 - 180 bhp

i have 93 at the wheels and roughly 117 at the flywheel. 

It revs well and over the red line for short bursts.

The pirouettes was as a result of trailing the brakes into the corner. But I hope I get points for not leaving the black stuff !!

next stop Curborough 

H

Ha! That explains the difference in gearbox performance. Apart from my 2 step changes, dropping from 3rd to 2nd is often a wrestling match! That alone put me off Prescott the one chance I had to have a pop at it.

Keep it coming!

5 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi Hamish,

sorry me, but I hope this is not your every day exhaust?

Ciao, Marco

Yes. Sure is. 

Don’t know anyone who takes off their larger bore single box system from moss rimmer Phoenix revington etc etc when not on track. 

Is it the noise you are worried about. As I think the Motorsport UK measure position is only 45 cm from the tail pipe 

Edited by Hamish
Added info

nope.

I worked for a local authority for 20 years enforcing nuisance  I understand the issues. However my car is rarely on the road and is a transient noise source for any receptor so I contribute very little to a personal exposure dose.

So that’s why I spun mine !!!! :wacko:

Edited by Hamish

Gawd, one of the best things about my TR2 is the original single 18 inch silencer, which is pretty loud.  But I really enjoy sharing the music around the neighborhood.  I also think the way you drive the car can drastically change how loud it is as you go along.

Dan

18 minutes ago, ntc said:

Sounds well but something is slipping and you are losing traction. Need to sort that before lsd.

Neil

its the inside rear that slips. 

Also sounds like that when I change to overdrive neither clutch nor OD slips as far as I can feel whilst driving

Can you pinpoint the time on video where you notice it ? To help me clarify. 

Someone not far from me changes his exhaust for track days.........he has to quieten it down to get through the noise test

:wub: Love the noise... helps with the old man tinitus.....:lol:

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Neil

its the inside rear that slips. 

Also sounds like that when I change to overdrive neither clutch nor OD slips as far as I can feel whilst driving

Can you pinpoint the time on video where you notice it ? To help me clarify. 

You can hear it slip , no track car tr that I know of has a overdrive fitted at least the quick ones.

8 minutes ago, ntc said:

You can hear it slip , no track car tr that I know of has a overdrive fitted at least the quick ones.

Ah I see the confusion then. Mine is a low powered road car used on sprint and hill climb courses about 5 or 6 times a year.

currently about 5th overall and 2nd in class  others yet to finish though.

LSDiff still on a wish list. 

I get wheel spin out of tight corners esp when I have the 70section road tyres. The low profile ones help with this a lot and more grip.

A knock on effect of the low tyres is the change to gearing. Hi revs in second or a little bogged down in 3rd. 

All advice welcome. 

H

The Works' Rally TR4s had an uprated overdrive operating on 2/3/4, and used it all the time.  Graham described the uprating as Healey 3000 spec!

Tony Sheach. on his Beastie, uses a 28% overdrive operating on 1/2/3/4, and he has a ridiculous 4.875 rear axle ratio!

On hills, I find overdrive 2nd particularly useful as it fills exactly that gap between 2 and 3, and on country roads, overdrive 3rd is a delight.  And with a logic box, there's no need to take a hand off the steering wheel.

Ian Cornish

• 8 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 2:04 PM, Z320 said:

No mercy with our fellow citizens? You should!

Not noise. Music