Trip to the Isle of Wight

Hi

A couple of us are planning taking the Lymington ferry across to isle of wight in september for a few days. I know we are a bit late booking up but has any body any suggestions on where to stay and what to see or equally importantly where to avoid. My colleague favours staying in Cowes but all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Rog

Roger H

We’re also thinking of visiting the IOW and I’ve now added Brading Roman Villa to our list of places to see.

However we may wait a week or two for the air to clear since its rumoured the last old roman to visit left a malodorous impression.

Veni Vidi Flati indeed.

Martin

Hi,

You won’t be disappointed if you come here for a classic car trip. Most of the major roads have been resurfaced over the past couple of years and we have some great roads.

September is still a busy month but a lot less kids .... which is great and makes it the best month to come here !

Be sure to drive the full length of The Military road (once used on a Top Gear episode). It’s a great piece of road and the views can be stunning.

If you post up dates you’re on The Island I will check to see if the island triumphs are having any meets / drives. There is no active TR Register here but we get together with The Islands TSSC and have some good trips around & get togethers.

If you know Pinky here, then make contact with him. He’s good for organising a tour ! I’ll see him this weekend at the All Triumph Weekend and will mention this thread to him.

With regards to places to stay. Cowes is great & a must for a visit. Make a day of it and see the beautiful yachts. It will be a bit more quiet by September (it’s currently Cowes week) but it is still a lively place. There are some great restaurants and bars there too. However, I’m not sure it’s the best place to stay. 

Places I’d recommend to stay.. Well, for me it would be Ventnor but I’m biased. Make sure you at least spend a day in this Victorian seaside town with its micro climate and to also do a visit to the Botanical Gardens here. A lunch at Steephill Cove whilst your ‘down south’ is a little secret place worth a visit.

Other lovely towns to stay or visit are Yarmouth, Freshwater & Shanklin ... IMHO.  

Places to visit - Osborne House is pretty much a must. It’s a fantastic insight into Queen Victoria’s life here. The Victorians shaped the island and lots of places and towns are a step back in time.

The Needles is a good trip out and depending where you’re staying, another reason to drive on The Military Road ...

Cowes for The Island sailing hub ... be sure to wear your Red Trousers !

The main town of Newport is fine but don’t bother to go there for shopping and avoid it during rush hours.... although it’s hardly London traffic !

There are some fantastic places to eat and drink here and should you want a night out & a drink, the buses are reliable and run pretty late at the weekends.

Not sure there’s anywhere you need to ‘avoid’. Sandown has a great beach but the town is struggling. Ryde town is full of some great antique shops but I’d avoid staying there. It has had some trouble in the evenings apparently.

I’ll be in mainland Europe for most of September on a TR4a road trip myself. So sorry I’m unable to offer a tour but it’s an easy place to get around, just point your car in any direction and explore !

good luck 

Andy .... no links to Isle of Wight tourist board ...

The Royal hotel in Ventnor is our favourite place to stay or eat. A little pricey perhaps but well worth it.

Many thanks Andy for all the above tips and guidance, I'm looking forward to it even more now. My mate has now booked the ferry from Lymington on the 6th September and returning on the 10th. He has a hotel reservation in Cowes but is still looking  at alternatives. I'll pass on your post - are you sure you do not work for the tourist board ? I'll take a hard copy with me and take in as much as time allows and certainly look up the watering holes. Your efforts are much appreciated.  Enjoy yourself on the Continent.

Thanks Monty I will try and checkout the Royal hotel in Ventnor and I'll make sure I take my credit card.

Thanks and regards 

Rog

21 hours ago, Icarus60 said:

Many thanks Andy for all the above tips and guidance, I'm looking forward to it even more now. My mate has now booked the ferry from Lymington on the 6th September and returning on the 10th. He has a hotel reservation in Cowes but is still looking  at alternatives. I'll pass on your post - are you sure you do not work for the tourist board ? I'll take a hard copy with me and take in as much as time allows and certainly look up the watering holes. Your efforts are much appreciated.  Enjoy yourself on the Continent.

Thanks Monty I will try and checkout the Royal hotel in Ventnor and I'll make sure I take my credit card.

Thanks and regards 

Rog

Even if only for the afternoon tea Rog!

On 8/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, stuart said:

I have stayed here a couple of times when weve been over, its lovely and its dog friendly too.https://www.appuldurcombegardens.co.uk/

Stuart.

X2 for this place Really great place to stay 

Morning,  my apoligies for not replying earlier,  andy has just told me about  the post,

Clubs that come over to the island,  I normally send brochours etc about the island and and organize a trip,

Taking in places that are not normally on the tourist route

I'm retired, so can normally fit in with peoples needs 

Please contact me direct, I will send you my phone number,

Kind regards pink

Pink

Thank you. I'll try to call you on Wednesday now if that is OK.

I  look forward to the chat

i have also sent you an email

Best regards

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to thank all the forum members that gave recommendations for our short trip to the Isle of Wight . We are now safely back at home after some 400 mile of mostly dry motoring. The cars never missed a beat and enjoyed their run out on the military road, thanks Andy.  We took onboard Roger's recommendation and made it to Brading and really appreciated the Roman Villa. We also took in the Botanic gardens and utilised their car park for a walk down to Steephill cove and crab sandwich. Last Sunday we zig zagged down to the Royal Hotel in Ventnor for a spot of lunch as recommended by Monty. It didn't disappoint in any way but getting parked was interesting. We stayed in Cowes and utilised the chain ferry a couple of times , once to visit Osbourne House which we did on Monday when it poured down, little realising that several (?) other people would have the same idea.

All in all a great trip and made possible by the suggestions received.

I would like to record my big thanks to Pinky for kindly sending brochures and giving me good advice on the phone.

Many many thanks to all 

Best Regards

Rog