Wheel Balancing

Hi All

Time to take my wheels to get new tyres fitted, but before i do that i want to get the wheels checked out.

Its currently standing unused on very old (1980's) tyres and needs new ones before going on the road, which i've now got.

But i don't want to fit nice new tyres on to (maybe) duff wheels.

So i had them shot blasted and powder coated some years ago (just rusty) and the old tyres stay inflated so no rim air leak issues but i didn't get them checked for balance or any buckles.

Now they seem ok and spin ok when the car is off the ground but can a tyre fitter check them on their balance machine without a tyre fitted or do i just get the tyres on and balanced after that?

Cheers

Keith

Hi

I just had mine done and tyre needs to be on for best accuracy.  Find a really good place, mine were not initially done well and I had a shake at 50-60.  This good & knowledgeable place did the balancing, drove and then adjusted again.  also he swapped some wheels around to get the best wheels to the front.  Difference was incredible.

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

Balancing is best done with tides mounted, but you can have the wheels checked for runout at the tire bead flange.  I did it myself with the bare wheels mounted on the car and a dial indicator. Four of my five wheels had run out less than 0.030, but one was about triple that, possibly due to hitting a curb or something. That wheel is my spare.

Ed

Hi Both

TBH it was the best way to find out whether the wheels were actually out of true or buckled and in need of repair. I was then planning to get the tyres fitted then getting the whole lot balanced.

As i said they appear ok to me but wondered if there was a way to check just the wheel properly, rather than rely on my untrained eye.

Cheers

Keith

As Ed suggested spin them on the car and use a dial indicator. If you don't have a dial indicator just clamp a screwdriver to a solid axle stand so it is a gnat's crotchet off the rim and spin the wheel. You can measure any wobble with feeler gauges.

Select a front wheel as it will be easier to spin, and make sure your pointer (screwdriver) cannot move.

Jerry

hi Guy's

Yep the dial indicator for runout is a good idea i hadn't thought of that.

I do have one kicking around somewhere i used when i rebuilt the engine so i'll give that ago.

Cheers Guy's