Mountain biking trip in the TR

I wanted to share some pictures of an epic mountain biking trip from South East London to North Wales I did with my brother recently.

You can forget your Volvo estate/SUV, the best utility vehicle for two blokes, two bikes and all your stuff is a TR.

We clocked up 750 miles in total over 4 days and used a lot of fuel. It was a real adventure though, great to get the TR outside the M25 and get it on the roads it was made for.

I hope you enjoy the pictures:

B4391 over the moors heading to Bala without seeing another soul, has to be one of my favourite roads.

y4mnQyNZvQ47-osAo2Ym7fgqWcDEKTvlBzew0pvy

Checking the bikes somewhere on the Welsh borders

y4m-8lSC4s7tOmmpdRsqaUpUfKGTrqgmizvBBgU7

Being chased by a 535d Beemer (realistically I don't think we stood a chance). Hood up because of torrential downpours! 

y4mHvGiGBcLMuGk6OmbQ6EwUpmRUOLbRqIdbfAuN

Foot down! heading for the moors.

y4mcNU9eEVCZVuIcSWpIkpCvAVt2TXaONpAbBVoq

TR6 in some intimidating company. Least horsepower but most fun.

y4mZsDfrFbyQf7cUtiOhzbjvo5mXZoNngIWlS7JS

Somewhere in the welsh hills.....

y4mXQM946e5hkxkJpb_jnJuBcbBR3Dbg3Yu5e8-p

Above Blaenau Ffestiniog

y4mleSdayicRS4p0FjqZvMEFlTYdFcxaq-KC5Jui

Beautiful evening at Barmouth sea font

y4mYr7Iz6ENbkgX1hbOHMh_SmeSm6St8P_4ZhjDa

Hope you enjoyed the pics,

Phil H

Great pictures of a wonderful trip. 

Well done for leaving the smoke !!!

Excellent. Getting the most out of your TR.

Years ago, my wife and I would strap two bikes to the back of my XJS on a Friday evening, drive north at illegal speeds and cycle over the weekend in the Yorkshire Dales.  Fuel consumption on the XJS was already laughable so the addition of the bikes just made us laugh more.

Miles

On 8/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, Hawk said:

I can't imagine how that rack messed up your fuel figures .... but all worth it to get to roads (and hills) like that. 

Yes, it did mess up economy, but didn’t really seem to impact on the performance and handling too much. 

If anyone is interested, the rack is a Saris Bones, made in USA and I think should fit any TR. over such a long distance it did mark the boot lid a little bit it t-cut out easily. The bikes sit rock solid even on the twisty bits. 

9 hours ago, MilesA said:

Excellent. Getting the most out of your TR.

Years ago, my wife and I would strap two bikes to the back of my XJS on a Friday evening, drive north at illegal speeds and cycle over the weekend in the Yorkshire Dales.  Fuel consumption on the XJS was already laughable so the addition of the bikes just made us laugh more.

Miles

Miles - Thats sounds like a lot of fun, I love the XJS. I only wish I had had the courage to get one when they were cheaper! Would also like to get the TR up to the Yorkshire Dales one day. 

Phil

These days getting from London to the Dales will take a bit longer with all speed restrictions and general persecution of drivers but still doable over a weekend. 

The XJS is long gone although I still have a bit of an itch for one of the last models and I still have the bike rack...

Miles

On 8/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, Hawk said:

I can't imagine how that rack messed up your fuel figures .... but all worth it to get to roads (and hills) like that. 

I have the same experience with my modern car (Mercedes C220D): on longer journeys without bicycles on the tow hook I easily average 5l/100 km.

With two bikes at the rear and a total additional weight of less than 150 kg I managed just under 7 l/100 km,  so almost 40% up.

Could not believe it but the relative (additional) consumption should be correctly displayed.

Waldi

What is the comparison they use? A 5mm brake cable sleeve has the same effective cross section as a trout ... or is it a salmon? This must make the tubes of the bike frame the same XS as a quarter of Wales (sorry!) a medium sized shark? Makes you think about the aerodynamics of your roll-over bar, ehh?

Cheers, Richard