black wire wheels on 1958 TR3a: original option?

Hi, just looking for some advice regarding wire wheels for the TR3a. Were black painted wires ever an option in the day? I know that silver/grey ones were as well as chrome. I think black look great depending on body colour but don't want to hurt authenticity.

Hello Clifford,

Welcome to the Forum.... You’ve got one of the worlds all time greatest cars... so, I would say, fit whatever wheels best suit you!

The real ‘expertise’ will hopefully be on the way shortly.. In the meantime here’s my tuppence worth; for the 3A  silver painted was the common option (don’t think chrome was an option - that was more for Jag’s, Astons and the odd pretentious MG)

Definitely I’ve seen early side screen cars with painted wires and, fully agree with you, painted on the 3A also looks great... In the meantime, don’t be in any doubt that you have come to the best source of information available here at this Forum  

TR3As were only silver-painted wire wheels from stock, or on special exception to make a sale, chrome wheels were allowed to be specified by the selling dealer (they weren't a standard offering).  

There are folks who like the look of body-colored wires (or another color, I guess) to remind them of the first few years when  TR wheels *were* body colored or to remind them of a different era.  Julian Richards, gearhead neolithic archaeologist, for example, runs BRG wires on his BRG TR3A 'cause it reminds him of the 1930s.  To each his own.  Don't let "correct" stop you from doing what you want, unless of course concours is what you want.

Julian's car in front of Wilton House, May 2017:

i-mW7cdpT-X5.jpg

Edited by Don H.
10 hours ago, Don H. said:

TR3As were only silver-painted wire wheels from stock, or on special exception to make a sale, allowed to be specified by the selling dealer (they weren't a standard offering).  

There are folks who like the look of body-colored wires (or another color, I guess) to remind them of the first few years when  TR wheels *were* body colored or to remind them of a different era.  Julian Richards, gearhead neolithic archaeologist, for example, runs BRG wires on his BRG TR3A 'cause it reminds him of the 1930s.  To each his own.  Don't let "correct" stop you from doing what you want, unless of course concours is what you want.

Julian's car in front of Wilton House, May 2017:

i-mW7cdpT-X5.jpg

Many thanks, Don, for the advice. Lovely photos too!

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

my TR4A came with silver painted wire wheel by accident as I hoped to get one. I love it like this.

But after now about 10 years I would like them black and for a first impression I did not clean them for the last year.

That looks great on the front wheels, rear wheels sadly still are clean....

Ciao, Marco