Hi All

Been quite a while since I used the Forum properly

I would like your advice: I have a project on the go (as we all probably do), this requires two boot hinges from a Tr4a. Although due to the extra weight and use of gas struts to aid the lifting the originals are not really strong enough.

I have created had a drawing created out of solid works and am looking to have some hinges made which are larger and solid stainless steel, but this is a while away.

I am Looking to buy some new ones for the short term and but am worried these maybe weaker than the originals.

Does anyone know if someone has already made some solid hinges which would be stronger than the originals or could recommend some good quality TR4a boot hinges to get me by

Mark Winter   

604917fs8pic1[1].jpg

Not sure what your project requires Mark but the works cars had extra large hinges fitted which were off a Vanguard - there are still some around or failing that there are numerous other larger offerings that turn up at auto jumbles

The back section that fits to the rear deck has two studs instead of one. The longer forward section that fits to the boot, I believe had just two studs in the same location as the originals but I've got a few in the garage & can check for you if it helps?

No probs, when I fitted the works hinges to one of mine I had to extend the mounting plinth on the top deck with lead & shape to match the bigger hinges....I just had a look and the forward section mounts are different as well..

FWIW, fitting strengthening packing under the rear deck and inside the lid should be more effective in spreading the extra load than replacing the hinges

Thanks John

thanks Stef I did this once the body was flexing and the hinge broke

Should be bringing it to the International, will you be there Pete? I can show you in person if not ill get some pictures to show you after

Mark

Edited by Mark (tenpin)

When the boot is closed there shouldn’t be any load on the hinges as the lid should seat on the rubber all round. It’s obviously not a good idea to open the lid with a loaded boot rack  

Broken hinges are often caused by fitting the hinges on the wrong sides. They then flex the deck and boot lid when it is opened. 

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

Broken hinges are often caused by fitting the hinges on the wrong sides. They then flex the deck and boot lid when it is opened. 

Or, as in my case, when the car lands upside down across a ditch, (boot on one bank, bonnet on the other)!! .... only one hinge broke though!!

Cheers Rob

Hi Mark, what are you using the hinges for where standard ones would not be strong enough?

Chris

On 8/6/2019 at 11:03 PM, Mark (tenpin) said:

Should be bringing it to the International, will you be there Pete? I can show you in person if not ill get some pictures to show you after

I'll be there, but a picture or explanation would be enough. As I said, some people put considerable weight on luggage racks, and I haven't heard of hinges breaking, though I did know somebody who bent the boot lid.

Pete

• 1 month later...