wiring rear side lights

Hi

Mines a US car and a nice chap on this forum gave me a set of rear orange side lenses to replace my US red lenses.  Now I spotted the bulbs are always on and I guess they should blink with the indicators.    Should I just run the side bulbs in parallel to the rear flashers?  Cant see on the TR6 wiring diagram the correct way.

Thanks

Rich

I guess these are connected as marker lamps for the US market.

You can make them work as indicators by just connecting to the green/red and green/white wires on the left and right indicator lamps respectively (and removing or insulating the existing feed wires of course as these will be live with the lights switched on).  If these are normal bulbs you may find the extra current drawn affects the flash rate if the flasher relay is a bimetallic one.  If that is not acceptable you will need to change to an electronic relay or use LED bulbs in these extra lights.

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

You can make them work as indicators by just connecting to the green/red and green/white wires on the left and right indicator lamps respectively (and removing or insulating the existing feed wires of course as these will be live with the lights switched on).  If these are normal bulbs you may find the extra current drawn affects the flash rate if the flasher relay is a bimetallic one.  If that is not acceptable you will need to change to an electronic relay or use LED bulbs in these extra lights.

Thanks Rob

Yes, they are US running lights.  Good point on the bi-metalic relay.  wiring wise I was thinking of adding an extra parallel loop to both sides from the indicators.

Question, do the UK versions have no bulb in them?

Rich

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Hi Rich

This is exactly what I did when I rewired my '6 recently with a brand new loom. It came with wires for the rear side lights to connect to the outer marker lenses (orange in my case). I made up short green/red and green/white wires to use them as indicators (like it was before my new loom). I used bullet connectors so didn't have to butcher the loom, and like Rob said insulate the red wires that you don't use.

Rog

Question, do the UK versions have no bulb in them?

No they don't but as above, some have been modified so they in effect, become side viewable indicators in the same manner as the fronts already exist.

Regards

Bill 

Edited by Bill944T
forgot to italic the quote

I've done this to mine, still have the bi metallic relay, and it just flashes a little quicker than before, but as it was slow before adding the extra bulb, it's acceptable. 

Gareth