Like many other Classic owners I decided to continue having my 4A mot’ed each year as a second pair of eyes may find something needing attention that I have missed.                                                       My question is does it matter if I let the mot run out and take it for another a week after. If I go to the Gov website I now get a warning message saying it’s run out, but no mention of it not needing one, only  a general note that cars over 40 years old are exempt.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

ps. It’s also a good opportunity to check rear axle oil and grease prop shaft.

Edited by ChrisR-4A
Spelling

I agree Chris. Once a year I get an MOT @ my classic friendly local garage, he does all the grease points @ the same time, checks the gearbox & axle levels & I wander underneath with my Waxoyl can! He often charges only for the MOT! 

To my mind if you happen to miss the date by a few days or weeks (or longer, technically) that isn’t an offence in itself for an MOT exempt vehicle - it makes no difference to the requirement for you to keep the car roadworthy when used on the public highway. 

If you chose not to have a valid MOT at the point of road tax renewal you would need to tick the MOT exemption box though.

.....Andy 

If you renew the so-called "Road Tax" on line (as I have done for many years), DVLA will know whether or not the MOT has been done - and the same for the insurance.

Ian Cornish

There's a from to fill in to declare your car as MOT exempt. You then submit this form to DVLA with your tax renewal form. I declared mine as exempt but still had the local MOT station put it through the test informally.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

There's a from to fill in to declare your car as MOT exempt. You then submit this form to DVLA with your tax renewal form. I declared mine as exempt but still had the local MOT station put it through the test informally.

I agree with Sean

for a very modest fee the MOT station check your car over , last year they found a a cracked arb bracket on mine that i’d not seen.

steve

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Yes Sean, found the form, however to avoid confusion it says the form is only required if applying in person at a Post Office in which case you need to enter the exemption class for Classics over 40years old which is "R". 

For on line tax renewals if car is registered as an Historic Vehicle then it is exempt and there is a box to tick. 

Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A
Added info

Hi 

I let the mot date pass on purpose and then renewed the tax on line with no problem just to see if it would work, then of course had an mot done to ensure the safety of the car, I had heard of someone who went to the post office with the registration form only to be told it wasn't needed as it was on the system as exempt already, I think perhaps that any tax exempt vehicle automatically complies..

Phil..