How to clean exhaust soot

When I  run a bit rich, I get a sooty backend. Ok, to date I have just washed ,it scrubbed a bit and it was gone. Now with the modern pertrol no matter what I do (without using paint stripper or the like)

I cannot get the backend, plus bumper clean. Any Ideas?

Edited by Peter Douglas Winn
too many tttttts

T-Cut or a similar polishing compound ? ..followed by by a decent application of wax so that future soot deposits don't stick. 

And sort out the running rich or burning oil issues. ?

I have found that a wipe over with a small amount of white spirit(turps) with "blue roll", removes all the black soot from my twin St.St. pipes works a treat. Also over the rear bumpers, and then leaves a thin film of residual oil that protects and provides a base to wipe off again?

Colin.

5 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

I have found that a wipe over with a small amount of white spirit(turps) with "blue roll", removes all the black soot from my twin St.St. pipes works a treat. Also over the rear bumpers, and then leaves a thin film of residual oil that protects and provides a base to wipe off again?

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Do a search on eBay, Amazon etc for "Belgom Alu" and/or "Belgom Chrome". These were recommended to me by a metal polisher. As yet I've only tried the Belgom Alu with fantastic results especially on my rear bumpers where the tail pipe heat had caused some ill effects, this stuff & elbow grease brought it back to like new.

Richard.

It seems that the additives nowday are very agressive. I have the feeling that they eat into the Paint and chrom, I have SS tail pipes but they seem to be not quite right. Bfg I run very lean but I still have this problem.

Hi All

Not a problem i have,,,,errr yet with my 6 not running.

But make me think. Ok so the chrome should be ok with a polish but how do you go on with polishing the Matt (or Satin) black Kamm tail?

Cheers

Keith