Info on car missing from BMIHT’s archive

Hello, I’m interested in a TR250 which is up for sale. I sent a web request with the chassis number to BMIHT to get some more information, but got this reply: 

Further to your Web Research request the build and despatch records for CD/8556-L are both missing from our archive collection so we are unable to provide any information about this vehicle.

As far as I have been able to find out, TR250s indeed would/could have a chassisnumber starting with CD followed by four digits and that the L represents a LHD. 

Is this worrying, or is it commonplace that build and despatch records are missing? Would a request for a full sertificate be possible?

And, BTW, if the number is correct, would that indicate that this is a late production car?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Best regards, Karl

according to the club buyers guide (https://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides/triumph-tr5-tr250)  TR250 commission numbers range from CD1 to CD8596 - all would have had the 'L' suffix.

Given that the BMIHT info all comes from old paper records fromm the factory I doubt everything was perfectly preserved - i am always amazed by what has been retained!  some of the last records (yours is 40 from the end) could easily have been mislaid.

i'm sure someone more knowledgable in these matters than me will provide some extra info.

........ Andy

21 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

according to the club buyers guide (https://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides/triumph-tr5-tr250)  TR250 commission numbers range from CD1 to CD8596 - all would have had the 'L' suffix.

Given that the BMIHT info all comes from old paper records fromm the factory I doubt everything was perfectly preserved - i am always amazed by what has been retained!  some of the last records (yours is 40 from the end) could easily have been mislaid.

i'm sure someone more knowledgable in these matters than me will provide some extra info.

........ Andy

Correct and far from being up to date.

• 3 weeks later...