Having recently fitted a wind deflector that greatly improved the exhaust fumes entering the cabin with the roof down I have now fitted stainless steel exhaust pipe extenders with a downward exit.

I am looking to replace the rear section of the exhaust to stainless so for the meantime have used exhaust paste to secure as a temporary measure.

When set I'll give her a run to see if they work and post the outcome.

Some may feel they compromise the look at the rear but if they stop the fumes entering the cabin, I feel it's a small price to pay.

IMG_2757.jpg

Edited by Phil H 4

Phil, there is another option... if you check out my blog on the rebuild of my TR6 you'll find that I've had a cut out in the bottom of the pipe and had a deflector plate put in so all the fumes go downwards underneath the car, rather than exit the end of the exhaust... not expensive and keeps the look of the standard exhaust..  here's a link... hth.. :)

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2019/07/0168/TR6-1972-CP-full-nut-and-bolt-rebuild-Chapter-17-The-exhaust-system

Panch

Hi Panch,

you have made a very nice blog!

Somehow I have never looked at this, so thanks for providing the link.

Waldi

Hi Phil, I had problems with exhaust fumes entering the cabin of 'TRoy', my '70 TR6pi & fitted the curved chrome tail pipes, similar to yours. They made quite an improvement - without a wind deflector, fumes entering the cabin are now negligible..

Hope you get your fume issues sorted,

Best wishes,

Paul.

Hi Patch,

Very interesting, thanks for the link. ARO are not far from me so I may give them a call for a chat. How long ago did you have modification, by the link it looks about July.

Paul, Glad to hear the extensions worked for you, the weather looks good this weekend so I'll see how they go.

Phil

Also used extensions. Worked fine even without a wind deflector. Still get a smell in the boot though. 

Tim

Thanks Waldi.. :D

Yes Phil, it was only a few weeks ago.. give Ant a call at ARO and tell him I sent him your way.. he's done a couple before so he'll know exactly what you're talking about.. not a big job. The only thing you've got to watch is if you're on a dusty track, you don't want other TRs behind you.. ask the guys who went to Henley Boat Show about that one...!! :rolleyes:

Panch 

Hi Patch,

The downward pipe extensions appear to be very effective, no need to change my shirt this evening!

However the system ARO have provided certainly looks better. Have you tested its effectiveness.

I know air circulation and cabin pressure have been discussed at length but becomes far too technical for me but wondered if having the exhaust exit under the rear of the car is better than extending further beyond the rear.

Phil

HI Phil,

Yes, tested and very effective I believe. If you are sitting in traffic, then you do still get a little fuel smell, but to be honest, I'd expect that whether the exhaust is behind the car or under it.  I can't say that I notice anything at all when on the move though.

Panch

Petrol fumes used to force me  to shower and change clothes after a long run, for years I just accepted this as part of TR ownership. But  it all  went when I had the MU and injectors properly  rebuilt and recalibrated.

The calibration curves on my old MU showed  it was running way too rich.

Before the MU work I was looking at side pipes, a mate in the 1970's had pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels,  but I'm happy now with my standard Monza exhaust

Edited by Mike C
On 8/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, Phil H 4 said:

Hi Patch,

The downward pipe extensions appear to be very effective, no need to change my shirt this evening!

However the system ARO have provided certainly looks better. Have you tested its effectiveness.

I know air circulation and cabin pressure have been discussed at length but becomes far too technical for me but wondered if having the exhaust exit under the rear of the car is better than extending further beyond the rear.

Phil

Phil can't comment on the effectiveness of the ARO modification, but I can say he's very helpful and in the past has helped me out with both the 6 and my daughters Alfa would thoroughly recommend him and Gavin ( paintshop pro's)  who is based at the other end of the same business unit, just a bit of a chore to find them first time. Have a look on Google earth first to locate them. I only live 'round the corner' ( well next village) and I struggled first time to find him. 

Edited by Graham
Spelling

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the info. I think the Green Dragon Eco centre is a good marker for anyone trying to find ARO.

Took a spin out this morning to see Ant at ARO and discussed options, very helpful chap. Like patch I'm looking at under car exit and deflector. I have a standard set up twin pipes into one box and twin pipes exiting on the left. Considering twin boxes and two pipes exiting either side. Having said that 60 mile round trip and and only slight smelling clothes and no thumping headache with my temporary extensions. Will need to see what the cost is !!

Whilst the car was up on the ramps we noticed that one of the twin stainless pipes in the mid section was blue after the manifold connection which i think suggests it has got a lot hotter than the other pipe. Could this be due to too rich a mixture and therefore the metering unit needs to be adjusted.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

If one pipe is getting hotter it would suggest its running lean or leaner if anything than the other bank but of course which is right?? 

Never used to get the smell of fines in the old days and I seem to get it in a few now.

I reckon its this dodgy modern fuel.  

Whilst ambling up to the triumph weekend I stumbled upon the answer quite by accident to the fumes that some of you seem to suffer.

If you maintain 4200 rpm in overdrive top.... any fumes are a thing of the past!