123 Distributor on USA car on 175s - which type

I’ve owned my December 71 build car for 26 years and it’s had the same dizzy since I bought it. It’s fair to say it is pretty worn!  The car is still on its original 175s. I’ve always run the car on a budget so please no well intentioned suggestions about changing to SUs or Pi, etc!

There are lots of posts on here about the 123 distributor but I can’t find any that relate to fitting one to an American spec car.

Does anyone know if the cheaper 123 will  suffice with my bog standard 106 bhp engine (ie will one of the preset advance curves work) or is it worth/necessary spending the extra on the “tune” version.

Thanks,

Jake

Edited by jake_a
46 minutes ago, John L said:

Just send your existing distributor to DD and have it working properly, highly recommended on here and cheaper!

John

Only trouble with that is that I’m likely to be swapping engines to a spare used UK spec one I’ve got which doesn’t have a dizzy and I’m guessing I’d need to get DD to redo it to match the engine, whereas the 123 will happily swap engines till the cows come home.

The 123 dizzy, even the older model (that I have) has like 16 pre-sets so it is hard to imagine that one would not suit the engine. No tach drive unless you get the module that fits in the Lucas unit. I converted the tach to electronic as i have the 123 distributor. Over 10 years since i installed it and no issues other than it is very picky about what rotor arm you put in.

Stan

6 hours ago, foster461 said:

The 123 dizzy, even the older model (that I have) has like 16 pre-sets so it is hard to imagine that one would not suit the engine. No tach drive unless you get the module that fits in the Lucas unit. I converted the tach to electronic as i have the 123 distributor. Over 10 years since i installed it and no issues other than it is very picky about what rotor arm you put in.

Stan

I’ve discovered that 123 will install their product inside my original 22D distributor and retain its mechanical drive for the taco.  Unfortunately it’s only the most expensive Bluetooth version that they do this for!

12 hours ago, jake_a said:

Only trouble with that is that I’m likely to be swapping engines to a spare used UK spec one I’ve got which doesn’t have a dizzy and I’m guessing I’d need to get DD to redo it to match the engine, whereas the 123 will happily swap engines till the cows come home.

When your doing the swap get the dizzy refurbished then to the spec of the new engine, in the mean time make sure the advance weights are working on your old one and get a new set of points and rotor arm from Martin (Distributor Doctor)

Stuart.

Jake_a  I think your engine is post CC75000 so Lucas  distributor pt no may well be 41385 (this is stamped on the side of the distributor body)  The  matchingTriumph pt no would be 218100.

Following are the WSM distributor specs that NTC refers to above.

Cheers

Peter W

Distributor USA TR6.pdf

• 3 weeks later...