IWE, museums... visiting England.

Hi all!!
I'm visiting England and I'm attending the IWE so I have time to visit the area, do you recomend me visiting the British Motor Museum or the Coventry Transport museum?
Of course I'm interested mainly in Triumphs (TRs)
Any place worth a visit from our TRs point of view? (old factories..)
I would appreciate any recomendation.
THANKS.

British motor museum @ Gaydon is always worth a visit with plenty of good parking. Not too sure of the parking at Coventry.

Hi Leonardo,

The Coventry Transport Museum is worth a visit. Whilst you are in Coventry you can stop at the Standard Triumph Club on Herald Ave, Coventry CV5 6UB. It was the social club for the factory workers and is the only remaining building from the factory, you can park outside it. On Herald Avenue, close the the club, is a monument dedicated to the manufacturers and employees. Two good photo opportunities for you.

Are you driving to the Triumph Weekend at Stratford? If so, please bring your TR into the arena at about 4.30 on Saturday as we will try to get all the International attendees from both the TR Register and TSSC in the arena at the same time and to say thank you for making the journey we will have a glass of fizz together. I then get to choose the nicest car in the arena and the winner goes home with a trophy. Photo of last year's winner attached. If you are not coming in the TR, then please join us for a glass of fizz anyway.

Mick

Monument.jpg

Plaque.jpg

standardtriumphrecreationclub.jpg

20190623_200704.jpg

Hi Leonardo,

if you are at GB in September please watch out what is at the south on 3 following weekends:

- Dorset Steam Fair

- Goodwood Revival

- Netley Mash Fair (nr. Toddon, for MC freaks)

- Beaulieu Autumn Autokumble

When you are next to this you can visit the National Automobil Museum at Beaulieu and the Sammy Miller MC museum at New Milton.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

The Coventry Transport Museum has some interesting exhibits about the history of bicycle and car manufacturing in Coventry, but not much about TRs. There is no parking at the museum but several public car parks in the area. See https://www.transport-museum.com/visiting/getting_here_parking.aspx

The admission charge has recently been increased to £14. Gaydon is much better in my opinion.

Pete

A slight deviation from the motoring theme but if you're interested in wartime codebreaking and the development of computing, including lots of working exhibits,  then The National Museum of Computing on Bletchley Park is worth a visit.  www.tnmoc.org

Of course I have a vested interest...

On 8/6/2019 at 3:09 PM, peejay4A said:

A slight deviation from the motoring theme but if you're interested in wartime codebreaking and the development of computing, including lots of working exhibits,  then The National Museum of Computing on Bletchley Park is worth a visit.  www.tnmoc.org

Of course I have a vested interest...

The Turing Bombe has now moved from the main site to this museum. The museum is aimed at a more techncal audience than the main site.

It’s a bit more than that as it takes the story of Computing in the UK from wartime up to the near present. The Bombe moved over last year and TNMOC now has all the codebreaking machinery on working display, including an Enigma that you can get your hands on. 

I’m a guide there and I’ve run a couple of tours for TRR members pitched at whatever level you want. Maybe another one is due. 

Edited by peejay4A
11 hours ago, peejay4A said:

I’m a guide there and I’ve run a couple of tours for TRR members pitched at whatever level you want. Maybe another one is due. 

Yes please Pete, I couldn't make the others.
Ian